Great start

By MattClifford - 15/11/2020 17:01 - Australia

Today, I passed my driver's test. As I was driving home, I was rear-ended. Rear-ended by the examiner that'd passed me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 261
You deserved it 68

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That is wrong in so many levels. If the car in front of you has to stop suddenly for any reason, it is your job to be far enough behind to be able to react and stop. Slowing down to turn or suddenly braking for some reason doesn’t justify rear-ending. Basically it’s only the driver in front’s fault if they are changing lanes unexpectedly, deliberately trying to cause an accident, or in reverse. Otherwise the driver behind has to stay off their ass and pay attention.

Reminds me that no matter what they do for a living almost everyone is just a regular person trying go get through their day.

Comments

Reminds me that no matter what they do for a living almost everyone is just a regular person trying go get through their day.

I've heard of people bribing driving test examiners for a passing grade with cash. I guess that sodomy also works. I'd have just accepted the fail and try later, and keep my butt from being penetrated. Butt, hey, you do you.

While legally getting rear-ended in a car crash is usually considered the fault of the one behind, in reality sometimes the driver in front is at fault. If you drive unpredictability and slam on your brakes or turn without signaling the turn that can lead to being rear-ended. Given the examiner would normally be expected to be an experienced driver and the one being examined is most likely an inexperienced driver, I tend to suspect that OP is at least partially at fault. I strongly suspect that OP left out what led to the crash in their story.

That is wrong in so many levels. If the car in front of you has to stop suddenly for any reason, it is your job to be far enough behind to be able to react and stop. Slowing down to turn or suddenly braking for some reason doesn’t justify rear-ending. Basically it’s only the driver in front’s fault if they are changing lanes unexpectedly, deliberately trying to cause an accident, or in reverse. Otherwise the driver behind has to stay off their ass and pay attention.

As I originally said, legally it is almost always considered the fault of the car behind if they hit you. However in the real world the actions of the car in front can increase the probability of getting hit. Most times in traffic people cannot follow far enough behind that they have enough reaction time should the car in front do something suddenly or unpredictable. If you allow the theoretical reaction space in many areas you will have multiple people pulling in front of you into the empty space. That’s the way it was driving in San Diego for example when I lived there. To make up for the tight spacing an experienced driver will look not just at the car in front of them but at the conditions in front of that car so they can know when to expect the car in front of them suddenly slowing or stopping. But if that car fails to signal an upcoming turn that can result in an unexpected sudden slowing or stop, or if they jam on the brakes because they got to close to car in front of them. Just consider the odds - Which if the two was the experienced driver, the driving examiner or the one who had been tested? While it is possible that the examiner is a poor driver or was distracted. It’s also very possible that OP did something that contributed to the accident. You will note they gave zero details about what happened before they were rear ended. It may seem satisfying to assume the driving instructor was a poor or distracted driver and that the presumably young driver who had just taken his driving test was blameless in this accident. But that’s not likely the full story.

If you can't maintain an assured clear distance and you hit the car directly ahead of you, that's your fault, end of story. You can type as much as you'd like, but that's how the law works. Saying "I had to be that close" or "I couldn't stop because of ice" or any other excuse doesn't matter.

I have found that new drivers from their tests are much more cautious at driving to start, and experienced drivers can't anticipate what a new driver would do over an experienced one. It's the whole debate of why people hate autonomous cars, because they don't drive like humans do; they drive like they're programmed. Hence why they're hit so much! The guy behind in this case should have kept a safer distance, as I highly doubt OP was brake checking him or really driving that weird other than braking earlier to slow down sooner. Test-ees still had to go through dozens of hours of practice to get their pass, it's not like they walked in with little to no experience, did it AND passed. That seems more unlikely than OP being at fault.