Goodbye, 7 years of sobriety...

By Mash-brakketz - 25/10/2017 22:26

Today a gasoline canister leaked in our work garage and filled my office with fumes. It got me high and nauseous even though I went out for air constantly. I had a meltdown and was sent home. I'm still high. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 322
You deserved it 284

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You had a meltdown because you were asphyxiating. As in, dying. Because gas fumes aren't safe to inhale. In the future, keep in mind that you can't legally be forced to remain working in an unsafe environment- like a room filling with gas fumes. And please go see a doctor and inform them that you had prolonged exposure to gas fumes in an enclosed area- you could have damage lurking under the surface that isn't readily apparent. If you genuinely feel like this will somehow make you fall out of sobriety, make an appointment with a counselor and attend them weekly until you don't no longer feel that's the case.

Lobby_Bee 17

You have no idea how lucky you are, a tiny spark could potentially ignite the entire room barbecuing your ass.

Comments

Jason Thomas McConnell 11

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Jason Thomas McConnell 11

what did I say that was wrong that 20+ people disagreed with me?

You had a meltdown because you were asphyxiating. As in, dying. Because gas fumes aren't safe to inhale. In the future, keep in mind that you can't legally be forced to remain working in an unsafe environment- like a room filling with gas fumes. And please go see a doctor and inform them that you had prolonged exposure to gas fumes in an enclosed area- you could have damage lurking under the surface that isn't readily apparent. If you genuinely feel like this will somehow make you fall out of sobriety, make an appointment with a counselor and attend them weekly until you don't no longer feel that's the case.

I totally agree with all of the above, but I think FML makes the captions not the poster.

... is there an images supposed to be attached? Because there isn't one on any of the versions I just checked. Either way, that's not exactly bad info to have out there.

SheepieBeepie: it could be that fml deleted OP's reference to 7 yrs of sobriety before posting so as to make said caption w/o being redundant.

really_dad? 14

If you can type this while high then you are doing something right. Meanwhile, try to avoid addiction and stay away from any and all fumes

Lobby_Bee 17

You have no idea how lucky you are, a tiny spark could potentially ignite the entire room barbecuing your ass.

seeing as it wasn’t a choice, i don’t think that counts as breaking your sobriety. that’s like saying being put under for surgery is getting high

Zachary8261 28

Buy a lottery ticket, dude! You’re still alive.

I completely 100% agree with what ghostfox post. If there was a gas leak and the fumes were strong enough to cause discomfort for you and other employees then work should have been stopped until the leak was cleaned up and the fumes had gone away. That is a safety hazarded and it sound like it was handled poorly I would report it anonymously to your local safety administration. And if the fumes were causing you to consider breaking your sobriety they you should talk to someone about it. In the meantime I would like to congratulate you on your sobriety because I breaking a habit can be hard and staying sober though tough times can be even harder.

OP, next time stay outside until the local fire dept's declared that it's safe to return. :-) And IMO, I don't think that being involuntarily (or unknowingly in other cases) exposed to something that makes you high esp. of a dangerous, work-related toxic nature, breaks your wonderful success of 7 yrs of sobriety. Keep it up! :-)

ProperPengTing 15