Get off my lawn!

By control your mutt! - 23/02/2022 22:00

Today, tired of people letting their dogs crap in my yard, I sprinkled an assortment of crushed peppers around my lawn as a deterrent. One dog went to do its business and had some sort of allergic reaction. Now it’s bitchy owner is threatening to sue me, and tried to have her daughter kick my ass. FML
I agree, your life sucks 995
You deserved it 404

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ayaaya 16

that’s not your fault, it’s your lawn! take them to court if they keep insisting. 🤦🏾‍♀️

Because a bunch of people don't seem to understand this I feel compelled to say it: Crushed red pepper is considered Nontoxic. It acts for most mammals as a rather mild irritant and is widely considered a safe and humane way to discourage animals from disturbing plants and areas, as opposed to actual toxins and traps. The dog wasn't being tortured or poisoned. It had an allergic reaction, which is sad, but OP did not poison that dog.

Comments

ayaaya 16

that’s not your fault, it’s your lawn! take them to court if they keep insisting. 🤦🏾‍♀️

Actually, in some places it might be illegal to booby trap your lawn. It’s illegal where I live.

Yes but applying pest deterrent is not booby trapping. The fact is that crushed pepper is only usually toxic in rodents (mildly so) and is usually only an irritant to other mammals. Note this was an allergic, not toxic, reaction. Crushed red pepper is widely considered a humane and nontoxic way to deter animals from disturbing an area. The duty of care doesn't imply you cannot take measures that you don't reasonably believe will cause injury or death.

They can just say they were trying to deter bugs..... I would

rotflqtms_ 21

I mean, maybe he was trying to turn his lawn into a garden and start growing peppers in his lawn and the dog ate their pepper garden... I'd say that their dog ruined my budding garden by eating it.

It's also not the poor dog's fault. The one he made suffer.

You could have just used a lawn sign instead of attempting to poison dogs who don't know better. YDI.

sorry but pepper isn't poisonous. do you really think a sign does anything? they ignore it. I have no trespassing signs all over my property yet people think it's OK to ignore the signs

whackman56789 6

Op doesn’t deserve to have other ignorant peoples dogs ******** in their yard. I can’t say I wouldn’t have done any differently than Op. I would also use deterrents to keep other peoples pets from using my yard as a bathroom

How would peppers cause a dog to not poop on your lawn? Poisoning them is indiscriminate. What? You didn't have bear traps handy?

randomnobody0622 6

Because a bunch of people don't seem to understand this I feel compelled to say it: Crushed red pepper is considered Nontoxic. It acts for most mammals as a rather mild irritant and is widely considered a safe and humane way to discourage animals from disturbing plants and areas, as opposed to actual toxins and traps. The dog wasn't being tortured or poisoned. It had an allergic reaction, which is sad, but OP did not poison that dog.

whackman56789 6

No court would listen to that dogs owner anyway. They would throw out her complaint and side with OP

Depending on local ordinances, it's probably more illegal that the owners are not cleaning up after their dogs than you peppering your lawn (which probably isn't illegal since it's not toxic and you can probably say you were combatting mice or birds). Where I live, you can get a pretty steep fine for not bagging up your dog's poop.

Many cities have ordinances that require dog owners to pick up their dog's poop when it's not on their own property. You should check to see what your town's policy is.