Fault

By problemchild - 02/11/2009 21:05 - United States

Today, I went to a family counseling session because my parents are getting a divorce. I told the counselor that I feel guilty because I feel like I caused it. She says that there is no way I could have caused it, that it's my parents' problem when my mom interrupts her to say, "Yes she did." FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 634
You deserved it 3 731

Same thing different taste

Top comments

kids are never the cause of a divorce. the parents just suck

DrPluton 0

I've heard of this happening sometimes when the wife becomes jealous of the attention that the father pays to the daughter.

Comments

what a bitch - good luck living with dad

justkillmenowxx 0

WWHY AM I SO PERFECT? ik, your hating. its okay. i mean who doesnttt? hahaha. i love how you guys have NO LIFE. when im like ffffflavorlishious. hate on me* LOL.

Just remember, you'll be the one paying for her to rot in a nursing home in 40 years, so choose wisely.

I echo the rest...your mom's a bitch. Maybe you can divorce her too, while you're at it? Anyone who says something like that is unworthy of being a parent. Blaming you for her failing marriage is cruel and abusive. You're better off without her in your life.

there is a potential way of divorcing a parent, its not really divorce though, its called emancipation an may be worth while because truth be told, whether it is your fault or not, you mom is a mega-bitch. Probably like the mom in America Beauty is what I imagine when she called you a bitch. But I would like to say sometimes kids can disrupt a marriage, not intentionally most of the time, but statistically a kid makes a marriage harder not only because raising a child is difficult in and of itself but the average cost of rearing a child till they are 18 is $400.000. This is another part of the reason that even if they hate each other financially stuggling parents stay together longer than parents who are well off that hate each other. Point being is that the kid shouldn't be blamed because even if they were the source of the hard ship it wasn't intentional and parents need to grow some balls to make things work. And if you are self centered enough to blame your daughter in a counselling session for your divorce then you should probably be imprisioned for child abuse.

perdix 29

I hate to say it, but it could be at least partly true. Counseling is where you get to hear truths that are usually suppressed in day-to-day life. I'm sure it's hard to hear, and you are going to have to sort your mom's complaints into valid ones and garbage (and I'll bet most are garbage.) Try to learn from them and try not to screw it up for your dad next time.

that's bull. even if she were the worst child in the world, that does not determine the course of her parents' relationship. some couples actually grow closer under stress. all stress does is reveal what was going on underneath the surface to begin with. most likely, if she acted out, it was to subconsciously cover up her parents' failing marriage. it's called a presenting problem/scapegoat; every dysfunctional family has one.

perdix 29

That is simply not true. The kid could have gotten drunk and caused an accident and the judgment against her parents caused such financial distress that the parents divorced. There is one case where the kid IS the root cause of the divorce. A devious kid can play one parent off against the other and maybe cause a huge rift in an otherwise fragile relationship. Even though it was nasty to say, there may have been a small bit of truth in Mom's statement.

girlygirl666 0

There's not nearly enough information here to make that call. There are too many things to consider, such as the age of the child, the duration of the marriage, the ages of the parents, how many other children there are, to name a few. Even with all of those facts, the dynamics of the family interactions have to be closely looked at. OP, Family Therapy is a great idea. It may take a very long time, but if your Therapist is good, you will all come to have a better understanding of the problems that caused the dysfunction in your family. I hope that your mother will come to realize that placing blame on you, solely, is only going to prevent her from seeing her own mistakes. Good luck.

perdix 29

I agree, girlygirl. That is why I stated it was possible that the OP may have part of the cause. I was seeing that everybody was ganging up against the mom and assuming that the OP was blameless. From the little bit we know, we can't tell whether the mom hit the nail on the head or was totally insane, but I'd imagine that the truth lay somewhere between those extremes (my guess is that it is closer to the insane end, so I am showing some sympathy to the OP.)

girlygirl666 0

I agree with you there. It's hard in divorce cases not to feel sorry for the kids, especially since they so often feel they are somehow to blame. When you add the parent also blaming the child into the mix, it's even mote tragic. Having said that, there are cases where the child is partly at fault, although that's often only the case in older kids. Either way, it's sad for all involved. Ok, enough with the serious crap! This is after all, a site for entertainment. Now, how about a sammich?

perdix 29

Sounds good to me, thanks! Maybe the OP will screw mom's future boyfriends as revenge. Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

Dude. This is in no way accurate and is really hurtful. Parents are significantly older and are supposed to be responsible. Holding a kid accountable for the parent's problems is immature and childish of them, not to mention scarring. How could you say something like this?

spiderman0606 0

I love how everyone is so quick to judge the mother when no one really knows anything about the situation except for, well, three sentences. You don't know how much of an asshole the OP could be; some kids can be real douche bags.

Amen! Kids are bitches. Especially selfish girls who think they are princesses

visage 0

Way to go. It was f'd up of you to screw up a good marriage. Maybe you'll like your step parents better, or is it your plan to break up the next round of marriages too?

embarrassedsis 0

yeah my mom tried to blame me too. except it was only "partly" my fault.