Coincidence?

By lessimportantthanatable - 15/11/2017 12:00 - United States - Northfield

Today, I learned that the new granite countertop in my parents' house cost $12,000. Coincidentally, this is also the amount of money I would have needed to go to the college of my dreams instead of the cheaper school I currently attend. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 785
You deserved it 1 014

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Lobby_Bee 17

Which school you went to doesn't define you, it's what you do that defines you.

exileonmainst 16

12000 dollars for a countertop?! Does it cure cancer?

Comments

If my parents had given me every cent they have, I still wouldn't have been able to go to college. Be glad you have the resources to go at all.

I'm 16 and in a college. I have just found out that my scholarship was taken away because of a coding error, I'm not expecting my mom to pay a dime since this was my choice. Going to a cheaper school is not that bad, in fact many do it for their first two years like I am because it's cheaper. it's actually pretty well thought out. there are other ways to get money besides a loan. if you really wanted it, you would've found a way, even now it's not too late

Captain_M 8

You’re over 18, technically an adult. Grow up and pay for your own schooling like one.

sherbear86 21

Although a little rude, maybe you should have looked into financial aid or a way to pay for yourself. I went to college in my own dime and will be doing the same with university shortly.

OP here, wow! This post has generated a lot of controversy. I respect all of the hard work that goes into paying for education, especially by those who work through college without help. I am currently paying for my own tuition with the help of scholarships. 12k is the difference between the two colleges for two years (not the sticker price! I wish!). Although many parents do not help pay for their childrens' education, in the US financial aid is dependent on the financial situation of the parents. Thus, because my parents make more than the average college student, I get less financial aid than if I were considered legally independent. I've always known that I would pay my own college tuition and planned accordingly. The school that I'm currently attending is fine and this isn't really the end of the world: it was just frustrating to learn that it wouldn't have been as difficult for my parents to contribute as they made it seem.

How about you work for what you want instead of expecting your parents to pay for your education.

Suck it up. Your parents are not required to fund your education.

Maybe you should have gotten a job or a loan.. Not your parents' responsibility.

Matthew Irmen 11

Don't feel bad, my parents went on a world cruise and thought I should pay for my own education by joining the military. Shoot, I should add an FML to my comment!

How the hell do you all think it's not responsability of the parents to pay for the children's college? The teenagers spent almost all time in school, with minimum wage jobs, getting anxiety disorders because everyone pressures them to get good grades so they can get into a good college. How will they have money to pay for college? If you don't wanna take care of your children, then don't have children.