Cheat sheet

By ohh jeez. - 21/02/2009 02:49 - United States

Today, I handed in an assignment in health class that had to calculate my BMI. Embarassed by my weight I put it 15 pounds less. I got the assignment back and lost credit for something. Circled in red pen on the top was you must put your "EXACT" weight. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 969
You deserved it 19 060

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yeah, but he has no proof the student is lying unless he has already weighed him/her himself. When it comes to personal information, you can't just claim a student is lying.

ummmyeahhh 0

wow. everyone, chill out. 1. weight is a very personal issue. not everyone is comfortable sharing things like that, especially in a way that could have revealed it to the entire class. when I went thru health class, our prof. let us disclose anything sensitive to her, so we did the assignment in private and then received it separately. not everyone is comfortable doing it. 2. weight perception in general is a touchy subject. just because you think you are overweight doesn't mean you are, and just because you think you're at the "correct weight" doesn't mean you're too heavy. however, taking off 15 pounds was a bit much, esp. for someone who is trained to know weight and what it looks like... try taking off 5 to 10 at the most... 3. the teacher was wrong to penalize you, but cheating thru the assignment was wrong too. go to the prof and say that you weren't comfortable disclosing your weight and try to redo the assignment privately. maybe he'll be more understanding. 4. if that doesn't work, explain to his supervisor that you were uncomfortable with the subject matter and ask for them to handle the matter privately.

Comments

BMI is huge load of crap; it's an improper formula, and ancient to boot... Only old or dumb Dr.'s use it anymore.. or teachers with ancient textbooks. Don't believe me? research it..

usnwife 18

Mine is always way off with that weight vs height crap. Especially with girls, ever hear if something called boobs?? I, with G cups will obviously weigh more than my friend (same height) with B cups, yet I'm actually in better shape. I hate when I'm forced to use that to calculate BMI, and always being told I'm "overweight" when I'm not. I know how to be healthy, and I dont care about the damn number. Now with that said, I don't think the teacher was out of line, even though I don't like it I never lie about it, that's just stupid and insecure!

Capybara 0

#33, like I said before, if she had a problem with it, she should have talked to her teacher beforehand. If he still refused, then, yes, she would have some basis for complaint, but instead she just decided to lie in an extremely obvious way.

I can't believe more people didn't put you deserved that. No one should ever be embarrassed about his or her weight.

Uh... Eating disorders? Body dysmorphic disorder? Self esteem issues? There are TONS of reasons. I thought that was fairly obvious...?

slyvanilla_creme 0

#36, how can someone estimate your weight off by more than 80 pounds?

There are plenty of things on FML that seem like someone could file some grievance charges. I know it sounds very underhanded in some ways but if you have eye witnesses and a lawyer there are things that people in a public situation just shouldn't say. This looks like something very textbook. There's written evidence that the teacher was insinuating you were overweight and you might be able to get something out of it.

quinten64 0

I call a fake. 15 lbs isn't enough to call someone out on.

BMI is not a measure of health or correct weight. It was created by a Belgian mathematician while he was working on "social physics".

^ yeah BMI isn't an accurate measure of obesity. A much more accurate measure is simply looking at your waistline. and there's no shame in being fat; the rest of america is just as fat as you are!

DuchessAngel37 0

I think your teacher is a dick. I weigh a good 40 pounds more than I look like. I've had doctor's go "really?" when I tell them my weight. Then they shrug and say "well, it's more about being in shape than numbers on a scale." Some people weigh less than what they look like. I could stand next to two other people who are the exact same weight as I am, and one of us could look fat, the 2nd look skinny, the 3rd look 'normal'. Oh, and while I'll cop to being about 15 pounds overweight, my BMI says I'm "morbidly obese". Muscle weighs more than fat, but when a girl tells you she weighs 175, you're like, oh god, she's fat. But then you see she's like a WWE Diva. By the way, I know I sound like a dork for knowing this, but I asked Candice Michelle when she was at my gym - the reason they don't post the Divas' weights on their WWE profile is to feed into the male fantasy that they weigh like 110. In reality it's much closer to 200