Buckethead

By hi! - 17/09/2021 14:00

Today, I called in sick for the first time. My boss said that if I didn’t show up, not only would he fire me, but he’d make sure I never find another job for the rest of my life. So I showed up to work with a bucket, puking every five minutes. My boss still made me stay the full nine hours. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 788
You deserved it 133

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That doesn't sound very legal, you're supposed to have sick days right? YOU should report HIM and make sure he doesn't get a management job for the rest of his life. It's people like this that make me mad. But anyway, I hope you feel better! Maybe get a COVID test though, especially if you're being forced to go to work. Surely your boss won't allow you to work if you have COVID. If he does, I wouldn't even know what to say.

How did you manage to puke 108 times? Math power! I hope you emptied your bucket into your boss's office trash can.

Comments

Get a COVID test, please! I’m worried! Your boss is a sorry excuse for a human being. Is there anyone that you can report him to?

How did you manage to puke 108 times? Math power! I hope you emptied your bucket into your boss's office trash can.

That doesn't sound very legal, you're supposed to have sick days right? YOU should report HIM and make sure he doesn't get a management job for the rest of his life. It's people like this that make me mad. But anyway, I hope you feel better! Maybe get a COVID test though, especially if you're being forced to go to work. Surely your boss won't allow you to work if you have COVID. If he does, I wouldn't even know what to say.

Well, the only thing he can potentially be reported for is threatening to blacklist him. However, the manager was well within his legal rights (in the US at least) to threaten to fire him. In the US it is at will employment in every single state. Meaning you can be fired for any reason, as long as it isn't a legally protected thing such as race, etc. Sick days are a perk, not a legal requirement.

Not quite true. Not all states have "at-will" employment. The majority do, but not every single one

You sound like a moron. Spreading illness around the workplace sure is a "perk" isn't it? Sure, most states have "at will employment," but being legitimately sick is definitely a valid excuse to give an employee a sick day. You must be the boss the FML is about. Only a dick would side with the boss.

Jennij717 4
Doom_Kitty 12

How can this be legal anywhere?! It's aweful and your boss is stupid af. Get a COVID test, report him and start searching for a new job. I wish you the best! :)

CycleDad 5

bloody hell, what country are you in?? I have never heard of such a dick move by a boss and him getting away with it.

You should have puked on his desk right the first time you couldn't help it ;) .

The first time I tried to call in sick after 3 years at my job my boss asked me to come in due to staffing issues. It was pre-COVID but I had slept maybe 2 hours and was sick as a dog, barely on my feet. My boss later apologized and I get the impression that his boss probably had a "chat" with him about that.

I would've sat the **** in his office, barfing, the entire time. The asshole