Am I the asshole?

By Imajerk - 13/04/2022 10:00

Today, for National Pet Day, we had a pet show and tell at work. A colleague of mine showed us a picture of her lemon tree. I remember she had a dog and wondered why she didn’t bring him, so I asked why didn’t she show her dog. Turns out he passed away a month ago. She burst into tears and ran off. FML
I agree, your life sucks 875
You deserved it 227

Same thing different taste

Top comments

not your fault if you didn't know. she'll be teary-eyed for months, but not because of you.

FYL for not knowing. She probably took the dog’s death pretty hard, which is understandable, and didn’t want to turn into a blubbering mess at work.

Comments

not your fault if you didn't know. she'll be teary-eyed for months, but not because of you.

FYL for not knowing. She probably took the dog’s death pretty hard, which is understandable, and didn’t want to turn into a blubbering mess at work.

You couldn't take a hint that her lemon tree was her current pet? You should have just burst into song, "Lemon tree, very pretty, and the lemon flower is sweet, But the fruit of the lemon is impossible to eat."

You should have asked someone else first. Then let them ask your friend.

Still doesn't explain why she'd bring a picture of a lemon tree instead of explaining the situation.

Dog could be buried under the tree, she probably was about too say that her dog passed. OP probably spoke out of turn.

Nothing wrong with a pet lemon tree. I take my tomato plants everywhere and we're having a blast together!