What's it to you?

By Anonymous - 29/04/2023 06:00

Today, my mother casually told me she’s been seeing someone for the past 3 months. My dad passed away 2 years ago. They were together for 40 years. Suddenly she had to get off the phone with me because her “guy she’s been talking to” was calling. Hence I’m on the wine. FML
I agree, your life sucks 208
You deserved it 1 107

Same thing different taste

Top comments

What, was she supposed to go into the convent after your father’s death? Your mother is allowed to move on and have a life.

what's the proper mourning period for a at least ≈60 year old? a year seems fair shes not looking to find a second husband and soulmate she just doesn't wanna spend her remaining time lonely. your mom's a human you've had a long time to wake up to that

Comments

what's the proper mourning period for a at least ≈60 year old? a year seems fair shes not looking to find a second husband and soulmate she just doesn't wanna spend her remaining time lonely. your mom's a human you've had a long time to wake up to that

Sounds like you have a drinking problem, seriously what did you expect?

What, was she supposed to go into the convent after your father’s death? Your mother is allowed to move on and have a life.

Oh, so now it's her fault that you are drinking? No dude, you decided to drink, she didn't make you. In fact, you sound like a manipulative wanker. About her new boyfriend: You can get bent, it's her life.

Speaking as someone who lost their father 25 years ago and whose mother has been alone ever since, you selfish cow. 2 - 3 years is more than enough time to move on. 2 - 3 months? That's wrong. Not wanting to see your Mum actually happy and loved instead of being alone and basically fading away to death still married to your Father's ghost is an awful thing. You seriously need to put the wine down and sort your ******* head out.

I believe you just like getting drunk. We don't buy your ****-and-bull story of your widowed mom dating as the "real" reason for your drunkenness.

So you are upset that your mom found someone after two years? My god, I tried for 5 years to get my stepdad to get out of the house after my mom died, but he never did. My grandma was the same way for 20 years and before she passed, she regretted it. Your mom found happiness again, instead of moaning about it, embrace her happiness. Depression and melancholy is not the way to live life, as my stepdad and grandma did.

Not everyone grows up with parents who date other people from the other parent. It can be a bit jarring. My daughter just lived through me and my ex divorcing, her mom remarrying - and being two months away from having a baby - and her dad - myself - dating someone new. She’s 5 and it’s tough enough when you don’t spend decades of counting on your parents being married and exclusive. So I can see why it would be upsetting to an adult child of a parent in this situation. I mean, yeah, it’s the parent’s life, but when you have kids of any age, “how will the kids handle it” is a question for any such person in a new relationship.

seriously?! it's been 2 years. your mother deserves love and support and help. she married til death do they part. she's allowed to date again. you're an adult and understand adult needs ffs

Karma's a bitch and that's why I'm going to put the thought in your head that she was quick to accept the call cause they were going to have phone sex.