By Imthatfirstguy1 - 10/04/2018 15:00

Today, I owe about $18,000 for a useless degree. Why? I graduated in 2016 from the ITT Technical Institute, a few months before the school shut down for good. The kicker? They misspelled my name on the diploma. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 638
You deserved it 479

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"Students who attended ITT Tech may be able to have their debt forgiven by applying to the US Department of Education for a borrower defense to repayment.[5]" Right from wiki. your welcome.

Legally change the spelling of your name. I don't think it costs that much.

Comments

Wait! You don’t own the creditors any money. The guy whose name is on the diploma does!

No, the guy who's name is on the paperwork he signed owes that. And even if he did misspell it, I don't think most courts would let that slide on such a minor technicality.

There's really not anything you can do to get it fixed? omg that's horrible..seriously I'd be effin pissed..someone needs to fix it..or u could change your name...js

I owe three times that because of them and I didn't even finish my degree AND I got pooped on by a bird(it happened the last day I attended the school). If I'd known that would get an FML I would've submitted it years ago.

Let the person sulk for a minute before you 1-up them.

It's been months since ITT tech was shut down. He's had time.

Shit only that my husband owes enough that it looks like we have a mortgage payment each month.

Here’s the kicker... Betsy Devos just reinstated ACICS as an accrediting body; part of the reason ITT shut down was because ACICS was shut down. But that doesn’t mean your degree is worthless. At least you got one. Do something with it.

Dodge4x4Ram 46

I was supposed to go there, changed my mind & join the military.

ParkerM77 4

lol change your legal name then

Same with my husband, he's not eligible for the debt forgiveness because he graduated. Only 10 more years of payments to go!

Literally the exact same thing happened to me :/