By Anonymous - 09/06/2011 14:25 - United States

Today, while at work, I suddenly went into diabetic shock. As I was nearly passed out on the floor, a customer yelled at me for not getting his coffee in time. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 807
You deserved it 3 589

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Taurusbaybe 8

The customer isn't always right.

Comments

reddwarf_fml 0

diabetes is nothing to play with sweetie. I know I just started dialysis a month ago because of it. pls pls take care if urself now so u won't have to be hooked up to a machine 8 hours a day. trust me on thus one. it sucks

gluedmyfoot 2

Lovely how people think they know all about OP's condition, especially those who are diabetic themselves and so should know better. Everyone's diabetes is different, to a huge extent. My normal dose of insulin could be so little for one person they would become seriously ill from high blood sugar, so much for another they could die of low blood sugar, but works just right for me. There are no set rules to this illness! And yes, a lot of people get noticable symptoms when low, but diabetes can change. Even people who usually notice a low quickly have times when they have no symptoms. This is especially common when they've had a lot of lows in a short time period, so maybe OP has been having a rough week or two with the 'betes. Or maybe she's like me: I usually notice my low symptoms, most of the time when I go low I notice before I go to a dangerous level, and can treat it, but other times I don't have time to react to a warning. I can be fine, then within ten seconds unable to walk in a straight line, have trouble speaking and blurred vision, then within the minute have a seizure. tl;dr Stfu, ignorant. Why yes this is a textwall, how clever of you to notice.

Hayllee 4

High five, man! :P I've felt fine and my sugar has gotten as high as 435 (pump malfunction) and as low as 30 both times. Most of the time I feel it, but sometimes it gets past a certain point that you no longer have symptoms due to the extreme change. I've noticed the only time I log in is due to diabetic FMLs. I think I need to become a Diabetes Educator. :P

Well said! This is about the same conversation I have with almost every close co-worker and new boss I've had because they always compare me to other diabetics they've known and think that my diabetes should be easy to handle. It's very difficult for me to control no matter how on top of it I try to be. For me, half the time my sugar drops, I don't feel any symptoms until I start seizing or my vision shifts and I black out. It happens so fast and is terrifying. Some of the other diabetics I know haven't had any diabetic seizures at all before though. It's just different for everyone. :)

The customer is usually a self-important asshole that doesn't realize their ranch dressing isn't that important... Glad you're ok, though

well maybe you should have gotten the coffee FIRST and THEN went into shock.

that can't be right, if you were really in diabetic shock you wouldn't remembered or cared what the customer said to you. I've been diabetic for 22 years, and do not ever remember being in diabetic shock. and next time keep up with your sugars to avoid this!! YDI

As MANY diabetics on here have pointed out, diabetes isn't the same for everyone! If you've been diabetic for 22 years you should know this. If you don't you clearly don't know anyone else with diabetes. I know 5 diabetic people and they are all massively different in terms of severity, treatment, symptoms etc. Not everyone is the same as you!

schoolbus 0

always pack a safety pop lol!

step 1 get coffee, step 2 fake seizure at customer's table and spill it on their face.