By JDCH_99 - 27/08/2015 15:36 - Canada - Toronto

Today, on my daughter's 9th birthday, I have to let her know that her dog died in his sleep overnight. Happy birthday. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 736
You deserved it 1 557

JDCH_99 tells us more.

JDCH_99 10

OP here -- we told her. We didn't have a choice. She was devastated and will be for some time. She's spent considerable time at farms, so she gets the whole cycle-of-life thing but it's different when there is an emotional connection. There won't be any dogs in the near future. Maybe in the spring we can talk about adopting a rescue dog.

Top comments

ExtremeEncounter 32

What? On practically the same day her dog died? Most people grieve for a while before they just up and get a new dog/pet.

juturnaamo 29

She's 9, she's going to notice her dog is missing.

Comments

That is just.... Awful! I'm so sorry, op!

olpally 32

:( sad face. Sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry OP for the loss! I hope your daughter understand and perhaps get a new puppy for her! :)

Chick29 9

That's so sad :( You should take her to the animal shelter even if she doesn't want a dog seeing puppies will put a smile on her face. I absolutely adore going to the animal shelter to just look at all the dogs!

leogachi 15

@21 Going to the animal shelter might make it worse for her. When I lost my dog I couldn't even look at pictures of dogs online for two weeks without it hurting. It all depends on the girl how it will make her feel.

sorry to hear that...my kids will have to take care of me when my dogs go...I'm only 30

Sorry. That's all. I know how it is.

cr500guy 11

Sorry. I hope you were straight forward and didn't give her the "ran away" line.

That's ******* heartbreaking. I'm so sorry and I have my own dog so Im waiting for that day when I lose her. Use this moment to teach her about death and that she has a loving support system whenever something bad happens. That death is unexpected but her family will always be there and morn together. Wait some time before jumping out and getting another dog, just because it takes awhile to fully morn.

Sorry OP. That's tough news at any age, but on a kid's birthday, it doesn't get much tougher.

I'm so sorry. Death is hard to handle especially on a day when you're supposed to be happy. My grandmother's services were held on my birthday a few years ago. I still get upset and angry about the scheduling of her services. I now celebrate my half birthday.