By AFEmoWifey - 09/10/2012 10:21 - United States - Palmyra

Today, my stepdaughter called to say hello and to give me a warning: she will do whatever it takes to keep me from having a baby with her dad, including pushing me down the stairs. I'm 12 weeks pregnant, and we were going to tell her this weekend. I'm now petrified of a 10-year-old. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 881
You deserved it 4 403

AFEmoWifey tells us more.

We bent over backwards to make her comfortable. However, I'm not letting her have a say in my baby making. I'm 23 years older than her so she needs to be more respectful.

Top comments

jewfroditmer 7

Push the 10 year old down the stairs? Ok, bad plan.

enormouselephant 15

That is so sad, maybe you can get her some help accepting that relationship? But from now on I'd be extra careful..

Comments

Bigdanish9785 3

That kid needs therapy...good luck op

flockz 19

burn the house down and move to a single story home. that's the only solution.

Maybe you should wait to tell her until she is fully evaluated for psychological problems. Normal kids just don't say things like that. Good luck OP.

She's probably feeling lonely and replaced. Yes she shouldn't be so crazy about it- but no need for psychological testing! I'm sure many kids who have been in similar situations would understand

Heck, I didn't live in a similar situation and even I understand. I have wished my own parents dead when I was a child - I just didn't say it. Imagine the situation of this child: her parents broke up, now she probably moves from one parent to another, she sees how both parents deal differently with the divorce (her father may live happy with a new wife, but maybe her mother is poor, sad and lonely), she herself has to deal with a new family situation, a new mother and now even a new brother? I think the child desperately wants some peace instead of all those family changes. So desperately she even threats her stepmother and stephbrother - which I don't think is serious, but you never know.

I agree with 19 and 56. I feel sort of bad for the poor girl.

#56, There's a very big difference between thinking a threat to an adult and saying it, especially when the child gives a concrete example of means and opportunity. Safety comes first. I hope this family (not just the kid) can get to therapy immediately, to help all of them deal with this. If the father hesitates, OP can tell him she's calling the police. (Also, I hope the kid's school counselor is informed of the situation.)

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
Hiimhaileypotter 52

Yes, because threatening the 10 year old child back is the right thing to do in this situation.

jem970 19

While I agree that this is very scary Look at it from her point of view, she is a younger kid, her parents slit up and she was probably hoping that they would get back together. Now you have come along and she doesn't want you to have a baby because it could take her place. Still scary tho.

Epikouros 31

On the plus side, you get to use the phrase "Listen, you little twerp." You're supposed to be the evil stepmother, don't let a ten-year old bully you.

I think the real issue here is that she feels like a baby will cause her father to stop caring about her. Perhaps he's changed since being with OP, and perhaps she's scared he will. Sure, threatening to push somebody down the stairs isn't the proper action (obviously), but either way, HE needs to sit down and talk with her. Hell, encourage him to go and spend more time with her, just the two of them.

lelo007 11

Yea, this is what I thought when I read the post, also. I am the oldest of five biological siblings. I'm 23, the second is 20, and there is a five year age difference between 2 and 3. I can tell you, my sister did not like it one bit when she found out our mom was having another one, and she wouldn't be the baby after five years. I can imagine, whether it was her being spoiled or simply feeling like she's going to lose her daddy, she is just upset right now and needs to be spoken to. She is also young, and even though that isn't an excuse for her to tell her dad and step-mother that, I think they need to try a little patience with her.

ItTookALongTime 0

Well maybe she's not crazy, maybe it's more jealousy. She is ten year old only child and you give her all your attention and she knows that. Now you are pregnant and she knows that your are going to pay more attention to the baby than her. I could be wrong so just to be on the safe side, make sure your husband is with you when you walk down stairs. And if she's with you make sure she goes down first!

TotalWin 0

Children never would've dreamed of saying anything bad when parents were allowed to discipline there children with spankings. Just saying, thanks government for passing laws that create an alarmingly increasing amount of unruly kids.

Or you could say, it's created an environment where children feel able to speak their mind. Yes, it may sometimes lead to stuff like this being said but slapping children doesn't make them not feel jealousy, anger and fear. It's better that emotions are shared so negative ones can be explored and resolved appropriately. As opposed to when children and parents didn't communicate and children bottled things up and were quietly but psychologically affected, often well into adulthood. Just saying, there are pros to not being violent towards kids, even the 'unruly' ones.

There were different problems in place of today's problems in those days. Ones that spanking couldn't fix. Things like stunted and repressed emotions turning into mental issues later on.... gee, I wonder why?