By ok then - 31/10/2016 15:55

Today, my sister called my Native American friend a bigot for saying he had no problem with the name "Cleveland Indians". FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 786
You deserved it 694

Same thing different taste

Top comments

oj101 33

Political correctness seems to be the domain of the white person telling others what is and isn't offensive on behalf of the minority groups. Without their actual input.

people who gets offended on other people's behalf without knowing why are far more common then I'd like to admit

Comments

Your sister sounds like she is on Tumblr

OP's sister sounds like she's retarded.

There's nothing wrong with the name Cleveland Indians just like there's nothing wrong with the Washington Redskins. People need to relax. They're too sensitive. It's a name calm down.

cootiequeen4444 11

I'm from DC. I love the Redskins. Hometeam pride and whatnot. But their name is racist af. There is no sugarcoating it. it's literally skin + the colour red = Native American. I wish Snyder would his head out of his ass and change the team's damned name.

Racism is the belief that a race is either superior or inferior. The name has nothing to do with whether or not they're better or worse than anyone else. It's not racist.

Reinforcing my observation that if you're offended by something on behalf of members of a group that you yourself don't belong to, you're likely an idiot. Especially if the members of that group themselves don't care.

Don't worry. Happens to me all the time. lol If you aren't offended nowadays, you're a terrible person.

Your sister sounds like the typical idiot.

I personally think that the name is bigoted, but I also think that it's fine if he's not bothered by it

I think you CAN be white and find something offensive that does not directly affect you. That's actually a good sign, it implies empathy and an ability to change things. But you CAN'T insist that people be offended by something you are offended by on their behalf.

Keep it simple. Refer to the team as the Tribe.

i wanted to say the Indians were named after a Cleveland baseball player who was Native American.

Hahaha, thaaaat's awesome. If anything, commemorating the idiocy of Europeans thinking they were in India when they they showed up here is an affront to them, not native americans lmao.