By Witos - 10/04/2013 06:54 - United States - Chandler

Today, my mom started fundraising and selling things on ebay. At first I was happy because I thought she was finally going to help me pay my college tuition. Turns out she's planning on raising money to get our dog a new friend because she's "lonely". FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 540
You deserved it 5 279

Same thing different taste

Top comments

acerima 11

My question for OP is, why do you expect your parents to pay for college?

It's their money, not yours. Who are you to say what's right and wrong to buy with their own money?

Comments

I will say this: Parents should contribute towards your college. How much depends on situation and family! But not contributing at all is not ok

Op could still use the money to go "pick out the dog", grab a pound puppy and pocket the cash. Dumb parents make clever children

Sonotsuave 35

Pay yo own dawn college bills girl dont rely on hur!

weetmaster 6

Um, hi everyone that FML above is me (i'm not a woman btw idk how I missed that) I see all of y'all are highly passionate about this so I decided to clear it up. I do go to a community college. I have been and will continue to pay for my own college education. My dear mother simply stated that she was fundraising and I immediately thought it was for me, I was flattered, but then she dropped on me that it's for the dog. It was just a little slap in the face moment, I'm not about to make world war III here because my parents aren't paying for me, you may all losen your corsets.

Kudos for paying your own way. However, the phrasing of the FML makes it sound like you expected her to pay which is probably a good part why you got some heat. For example, 'she was finally going to help me pay' sounds like you expect her to pay and have been waiting impatiently for her to do so. If you'd said something like 'I was excited my mom decided to help me pay' instead 'she was finally going to help me pay' you'd probably have gotten far more sympathy.

Except that if you look at the profile, it says no confirmed FMLs... Soooo... Cool story bro.

You expect her to help pay for your schooling. Do you also expect her to feed clothe and house you for free while you're doing it? There's plenty of grants and scholarships for people who don't have the money to pay, as well as student loans to draw from. You will end up in debt, sure, but if you choose a quality degree it won't make a huge impact on your adult life. Assuming you're responsible, of course. If you're not, don't go to school.

What kind of dog is she buying if upu think it would make that much difference towards your college education?! Just let me know so I can get a piece of the action..

Megan639 16

#81 please never have kids. Thanks.

Megan639 16

Look, we all know that everyone who's saying parents shouldn't pay for college are either bitter people who had to work their asses off just to attend ( which I respect but think is sad) or parents who didn't pay and are trying to convince themselves there is nothing to be guilty about. In this economy, you absolutely need a college education and if you choose to completely abandon your children then you're taking a huge risk that they might not be able to handle it and have to drop out. No one expects you to completely support your children when they're adults ( whether your rich or poor). But they're your children, you're supposed to love them. So you should help them at least a bit, because why would you want to see your children burried in debt at 19 and struggling?

Well your mom has here priorities in order.

Pyro_Wolf 17

114- why shouldn't she have kids one day? She seems like she would be a great mother. She didnt say that parents should ever spend money on their kids, she's saying that kids shouldn't be dependent on their parents when they become an adult. If most people were like 81, then the world would be a better place.