By Witos - 10/04/2013 06:54 - United States - Chandler

Today, my mom started fundraising and selling things on ebay. At first I was happy because I thought she was finally going to help me pay my college tuition. Turns out she's planning on raising money to get our dog a new friend because she's "lonely". FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 539
You deserved it 5 277

Same thing different taste

Top comments

acerima 11

My question for OP is, why do you expect your parents to pay for college?

It's their money, not yours. Who are you to say what's right and wrong to buy with their own money?

Comments

Please let the "friend" be a squirrel. Please please please...

Wizzlbang 10

OP are you trying to imply dogs don't get lonely?

My crazy sister, spent over $600. on a "Shorkie" which is a hybrid of a Shih Tzu and the Yorkshire Terrier. Puppy was just as expensive as a purebred. I know way too many people that don't value pets unless they're designer. Shame!

perdix 29

#21, I have a neighbor that got caught up in the LabraDoodle/GoldenDoodle hype and paid $2500 for a PoodleDoodle, a cross between a poodle, . . ., and a poodle!

kyu_Q 19

Then there are the vet bills for the dogs. While I agree pets can become like family taking a loan to pay for an $8000 operation which might result in the dog dying anyway, this actually happened, is rediculous

I'm with your mum on this one. Stop being such a baby.

Why doesn't she go down to your local shelter and adopt a dog that really needs a home?

perdix 29

Sure, she can get a dog cheap, but getting it all the best swag from PetsMart can be expensive. She should go for it, because YOLO. (For cats, it's YOL9x.)

buckley91 9

If your mom is having to sell things to simply buy a dog she might not be able to afford your tuition. Welcome to the adult world and student loans.

Wow... Entitled much? I'm paying my way through Uni, it wouldn't even occur to me to ask my mum for help. I did, however, work 80hour weeks before I went so that I could afford to go.

i totally agree. i don't understand how people think that just because they're parents mean they automatically have to pay for their kids education. it was my choice to go to uni so i funded myself through the whole thing. it would be nice of OPs mother to help out a bit, as my parents did, by buying food every so often, but most parents have bills and mortgages to pay for, so expecting parents to fund their kids through uni as well is a bit much

RedPillSucks 31

It's not so much "pay for", but "help with the cost". Neither my parents or my wifes parents were willing or able to help pay for college however, I don't intend to let my kids "go it alone". I will be helping with the cost. My daughter got a partial scholarship her first 2 years and we've paid the rest. My feeling is that if parents can afford to, they should help out to put their child in a better position in life. If it's going to be a financial hardship, then the parents and child can get together to research financial aid, grants, and/or loans. Just letting your kid out there to struggle alone is not right.

Some people expect their parents to pay because their parents raised them that way. I know my parents always told me that they would be paying for my college. But then again, I come from Argentina and over there it's common for parents to pay for the higher education of their children. It's expected, even. Of course, children are then expected to take their parents in to their home once they get older - instead of just throwing them into some facility to be taken care of by strangers. It's mostly a cultural thing.

Another point that is very important to consider, though, is that university in Argentina is much, much cheaper than in the US - and not bad either! There aren't any dorms, though, so that's usually what parents help with.

YDI for thinking she should pay for you. It sounds like you're getting cheap rent living with her (if you pay rent) I assume this bc you easily see exactly what she's doing. I do however feel bad for you because it appears that the real world is really going to be a shocker for you. I went to college on my own, while paying for rent on my own, working a full time job during the semesters where I'd get overtime and in the summer I generally work two jobs getting around 65 hours a week. Grow up and take on YOUR own responsibilities for YOUR education! Sorry if that's a little harsh but the world isn't a forgiving place.

TheCutestLizard 28

I paid for college myself and only had $5k of student loan debt when I finished my undergraduate degree. How did I do this? I WORKED! Get a job.

Won't work this way for everybody, unless people are okay to put off their education till they hit 25 (save money then pay) or something.