By BrokeStudentTryingToDoSomethingNice - 02/12/2016 06:31

Today my mom, bored lover of games and mysteries, bragged about outsmarting scammers by burning all the post and gifts they have been sending her. For a special birthday / Christmas, I'd splurged on an expensive, interactive mystery game where you are mailed clues over the course of 6 months. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 963
You deserved it 1 564

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Even if the gifts were items from scammers, I don't see how becoming the scammers' elaborate garbage collector would be "outsmarting" them. If she got hypothetical scammers to send /her/ money, then we'd have something… "A murder at the duchess' palace has left us in need of your help… if you could send—" "Sure, but I'll need about thirty bucks for supplies." "Uh… okay, but then we'll requir—" "And food."

And now you solve the mystery of why she didn't mention anything about it so far...

Comments

That sucks so hard but that game sounds fun lol

And now you solve the mystery of why she didn't mention anything about it so far...

Even if the gifts were items from scammers, I don't see how becoming the scammers' elaborate garbage collector would be "outsmarting" them. If she got hypothetical scammers to send /her/ money, then we'd have something… "A murder at the duchess' palace has left us in need of your help… if you could send—" "Sure, but I'll need about thirty bucks for supplies." "Uh… okay, but then we'll requir—" "And food."

Leviathene 34

Aww OP, that sucks. Is the mystery part of it, supposed to be who sent it? As someone who has never heard of this kind of game, I'm kinda confused.

Check out the Mysterious Package Company. It's a cool concept, but like OP said, pricey.

The Mysterious Package Company was one of the best gifts I've ever received. Her loss.

That's not your fault that she missed out on something awesome OP. I think a game like that would be pretty interesting and fun to solve.

For what it's worth, she's probably going to feel absolutely terrible when she finds out the truth.

If you didn't tell her it was part of a gift, you deserve it. I'd throw away anything that looks like junk mail also. On another note, you may be able to get a partial refund if you call the company and complain about their poor packaging.

How do what I assume are letters and packages look like junk mail? And telling her would defeat the entire purpose of a mystery, wouldn't it?

tounces7 27

Well, not really. I mean, telling her she's going to get something in the mail isn't exactly solving the mystery.

Dunno if starting an ARG for your mother, who I doubt knows what an ARG even is, without telling her was a good idea. Still sucks though.

Is that abbreviation for augmented reality game?

cootiequeen4444 11

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway