By madari - 21/10/2012 23:11 - Spain - Benalm?dena

Today, my husband and I went to marriage counselling. I confessed something that was bothering me, but he didn't understand. Our counselor repeated word-for-word what I said right back at him. He turned to me angrily and shouted, "Why couldn't you just say that the first time?!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 101
You deserved it 2 813

Same thing different taste

Top comments

brittanyrmh_ 12

Good to see communication in your relationship is a ten out of ten

Comments

Looks like your words are noise to him, OP. Maybe he hates hearing you so much that he tunes you out.

OP, keep trying, it's only the first session. If that's not enough maybe distancing yourself during alone time, or working on other priorities, giving him his own space, may help him realize he's pushing you away with arguing or yelling or whatever else he might be doing. Just a suggestion. It'll at least prevent conflict while he's stubborn.

I have a theory that men sometimes just can't hear the level of our voices (the pitch mostly) which would cause a situation like this. I've seen it and gone through it a million times...obviously the white noise theory also applies and for both genders lol. Although he shouldn't shout at you for something he didn't hear. Continue counseling but I think focusing on productive listening and talking TO each other instead of AT each other would go a long way to resolving the communication problems :)

Their is a root cause he is not having some need met figure out what this is and then you can work on fixing the communication problems.

gmc_blossom 21

Bro, your post ******* slaughtered my brain cells.

Damn, go and work on your own communication skills, mate.

SApprentice 34

It could be selective hearing. His mind could be tuning out most of your words, leaving him with a warped impression of what you're saying. He may not even realize he's doing it. My parents used to have a big problem with that. Mom could tell Dad something, and he wouldn't hear it the way she said it. I could repeat the same thing back, and he'd get it. My parents actually went to a doctor because of it, because they thought that his hearing was bad, but the doctor told him his hearing was fine. The doctor said he had selective hearing. His brain was just blocking out her words, because he had been with her for so long it was no longer necessary for his mind to process each individual word, but instead his mind was trying to process the concept as a whole. Now, that was never an excuse, but it doesn't change the fact that it was happening. He could do okay if there were zero distractions, but that is rarely the case in life. They divorced. Whatever the problem OP, good luck with your counseling.

You need the Manslater! (Search it on YouTube)

_VAL3NT1NA_ 6

Damn! =/ Sounds like a good comedy thoo ^_^

michaelaranda 28

This fml was a little confusing....

Psycho_Babydoll 26

Basically OP said something that her husband didn't understand, but he understood perfectly well when the marriage counsellor repeated the exact same thing and then accused his wife of not having said it in the first place- when she did.

Maybe he just needed to hear it twice to understand it? But he didn't need to respond that way.