By sad face - 07/03/2012 19:25 - Canada

Today, my history teacher confiscated my iPhone. She dropped it on the way back to her desk, and I now have a shattered iPhone screen to fix. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 518
You deserved it 32 030

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You probably could make her pay for it. Sure you weren't supposed to be using it in class, but that deserved confiscating, not BREAKING. (Also don't they have cases and stuff that you can get so that kind of shit doesn't happen? Otter box or something?)

Comments

desireev 17

I hate to say it, because I know how precious my iPhone is to me, but YDI! You shouldn't have had it out to be confiscated...

Almost all school rules say if a teacher breakes your phone the teacher has to pay for damages

desireev 17

I have never heard of that rule. And that rule shouldn't be in a student handbook because phones are not permitted on school grounds. Why would there be a counter-rule for something that's not allowed?

Shadowcat, you're completely wrong. Most school policies say that they're not liable for lost or broken phones. There are twenty bazillion rules in our school handbook against phones so that in the end you and only you are responsible for your phone. And I'm sure that most other schools are more like that than the dream school you're think of.

phones are overrated in my opinion. when I was in primary/secondary school, I used to use a tin can telephone to communicate with friends. It was a very crude method which is why I use pigeons now.

LiveLaughFML 10

In my school, we're allowed to have our phones in case an emergency presents itself or something. But using it is a different story.. (they usually make us keep it in our lockers or jackets or something)

When I was in school we were actually allowed to use our phones, as long as the teacher okayed it. And we could use them at lunch and in between classes at free will.

thatonedame 6

Clearly, this school does not have such a policy. And op was being disrespectful or rude with it, to have it taken away.

Where was it state that OP was rude about it? To me it seems like he gave her the phone without complaint, and the teacher dropped it.

Confiscating an object is where you "take" it from someone,(usually w/out consent because it's illegal or not allowed) but not necessarily when you freely & willingly give it up. OP kind of contradicts with the statement that it was confiscated & then says gave it to teacher. Either way, students should not have phone out during class...period! The teacher should, however have to pay for the screen if they were careless enough to drop it.

My bad, I read it wrong. Student didn't say they gave it up. (I tried to edit my comment but it said I couldn't)... Sorry people. Confiscation was done because phone wasn't allowed out during class. OP was at fault for having phone out to get it taken away, but teacher should pay for screen because they were careless enough to damage another persons property.

uclafay 2

Maybe you shouldn't have been on your phone in class.

Who doesn't pass code their phone nowadays?

At least your teacher didn't go through your texts -_- it happened to me

agm77 9

Yummcookie - You DO realise that the "N" in PIN stands for "number", right? So saying "PIN number" just sounds redundant and repetitive.

Yeah 53! 14 should have had a personal identification number, number!

And did you point out how that's an invasion of privacy? And that the teacher can be in deep shit for it? Report it to your principal.

Doesnt give her the right to break your property.

thatonedame 6

It's called an accident. And she never would have had op's phone if he wasn't using it during class.

She needs to be held responsible. Yeah you might have been using it when you weren't supposed to, doesn't mean she can be careless with your property

thatonedame 6

It was an accident. Op was careless AND disrespectful to the teacher in the first place.

That doesn't give them the right to break it. People come into my work and are disrespectful to me, doesn't give me the right to go and break their shit.

blair_x 12

This is one of those rare FML's where I want to say FYL but I also think YDI as well. If you had not taken it out in the first place, this entire incident wouldn't have occurred and it'd be safe and crack-free right now. But...taking it away from you and then cracking the screen is a direct violation of your property, so... FYL. Go and report it; there must be something that can be done about it.

OP might have just forgotten to turn the sound off, it's happened to everyone at some point.

thatonedame 6

It's called an accident. It was only taken because YOU were in violation of policy. had the teacher randomly asked to see your new phone, sure, they borrowed it and should replace it. It was YOUR ACTIONS that landed it in the teachers hands. Deal with With the consequences of your poor judgement. YDI.

Haha there goes a week salary for her

I would've beet her ass. I hate it when stupid ***** take my phone

*GASP* you would hit a girl?! I mean I'll tie them up and what not but I would never hit one

emstar828 4

#27-shut up. You need to just shut up. And just so everyone knows, the teacher sadly doesn't have to pay for it if it is in the student handbook of policies that you can't have your phone on you. YDI OP. Sorry. :/

I hate when stupid ***** misspell "beat" and give the poor beet a bad name. I also hate when stupid kids try to act like badasses and say that they would hit someone when in reality all they would do is pout, cry, and complain to their equally-bitchy friends. Don't want a "stupid ****" to take your phone? Don't ******* use it in class, dumbass.