By URGH - 28/06/2009 22:08 - Canada

Today, my friend and I were in her moms car talking about which job was harder: actor or artist. I said, "Art is easy. You just scribble on a piece of paper and call it abstract art." Her mom squinted at me in the rearview mirror and my friend stopped talking. Then she said, "My mom is an artist." FML
I agree, your life sucks 15 061
You deserved it 50 754

Same thing different taste

Top comments

1234jnimawe 0

well youre an idiot because art is much more complicated ... ... I can't draw for my life nor can I pass it off like I can ... meanwhile people will see a movie with jessica Simpson and call that "acting" ... it ain't hard

choochootrain 0

...honestly? Comparing actors and artists is like comparing apples and pears. Done well, each require talent and effort.

Comments

ToonAddict 0

Wow, I was pissed and gave a big fat YDI and was about to unleash something snarky, but lots of people have already said everything I felt the need to. My only sympathy strand goes out to you because clearly you're neither an artist or an actor so your ignorance popped up.

Artist are a touchy bunch that think they are important to society and when you call them on it they get all bitchy.

Abstract art lol Reminds me of that one famous "painting" that is blank or the blank art piece with a red dot... Abstract art never ceases to amaze me

foot in mouth... but your friend kinda set you up... YDI, though for not knowing what type of job your friends mom had.

It's difficult to compare them. Both are things that require a lot of creativity and talent and are usually very difficult to master without some natural talent, much like music. Of course there are exceptions to that rule, forms of art that do not require too much in the way of natural talent, rap music, certain types of acting. To the OP, it's completely understandable not to know the details of all your friend's parent's careers or life. I hardly know what any of my friend's parents do. Really isn't your fault.

Nice way of not considering just how broad the term "artist" is. Sure, painting an entire canvas blue and calling it art(yes, that painting exists) is easy, but you're forgetting "artist" is also referring to fine art, sculpture, comics, street art, animation, digital art, etc. etc. Too long to list them all. And that's if you're not considering musicians, architects, writers, and actors also in the artistic category. YDI for acting like the entire art field is easy because of abstract work.

Thank you! You put it perfectly! The OP definitely does deserve it and if they had a brain, they'd realize that even abstract art can be hard and a lot of thought goes into it.

snavula 0

They don't deserve it because she was just arguing her point that actors have a harder job. All she did was use an oversimplifying generalization about the field. I'm sure she didn't truly feel that way because everyone uses that method of arguing to belittle the opposing side. Stop attacking the OP when clearly they were just having an argument and given they were riding in a car, they didn't have the proper theses and statistics all prepped to go.

You don't need a thesis and statistics prepped to know that art isn't all abstraction or easy. And even if oversimplified generalizations are regularly used in arguments, that doesn't make them right to use. Belittling doesn't make your side better or make you look more intelligent. If they didn't really feel an artist's job was easy, they shouldn't have said so.

snavula 0

Didn't say it was an effective argument strategy or that it was the right one to use.. I was simply giving a different view to the situation since there are so many judgmental assholes (including you #86 because you argue with me by putting words in my mouth) that are quick to jump on the OP's case because she made a belittling remark. You act like they had some heated argument in which what they think about the subject actually matters to the world.They were obviously just having a silly debate. I don't understand why you felt the need to be so literal in your attacks to my statement, but they were pretty irrelevant.

I wasn't attacking or being any more literal than you were. I don't think I was putting words in your mouth nor was my comment irrelevant to what you said. All I was advocating that the OP say what they really meant rather than make a flippant remark first and wonder why they created an awkward moment.

#1 the Sistine chapel wasn't abstract art moron. I think abstract art is for people who can't do anything else. Realistic painting takes talent (like the Sistine chapel)

GabriLee 0

lmmmr... Let me guess... are you an abstract artist? Who says realistic art has no creativity to it? Is it not creative to pick a scene to replicate? Art in general takes a creative eye, be it painting, drawing, acting, singing, photography, or anything else you want to throw in that category. Abstract art is beautiful in its own way, but not everyone can appreciate it for what it is. Realistic art takes just as much thinking, inspiration, and passion. Quit hating.

You don't need to COPY something to make it realistic. You're leaving out a very large proportion of paintings. There are Tons of imaginative works that are painted very realistically that aren't replicated from life. Does that not require creativity?

Silver_Eyes 0

Wow. You're ignorant. Sure, you can call that scribble abstract, but, okay, now what do you do when no one wants to buy it? Art isn't so easy, it takes a lot of work and talent.

emz93 0

Both are difficult in their own ways. For the people who say that "acting is easy because you get paid millions of dollars" you are ignorantly forgetting stage actors. Not ALL actors are movie stars, I'll have you know. My dad is a stage actor, and we are part of the lower middle class. Money is very tight in my household. Acting is not as easy as people say it is, it is a very difficult industry to get into. You need a lot of training for theaters to accept you, and it's NOT based entirely on looks. There's also equity and non-equity drama, and getting a spot in a residential company is beyond difficult. Most actors spend years trying to find a steady job, and auditions are stressful, sometimes heart-breaking processes. This is not to say that being an artist is easy. It's difficult to get recognition being an artist, as proved by some of the greats. I believe that both professions are difficult, but shouldn't be compared because their completely different. It's like comparing doctors and lawyers. Doctors and lawyers get a similar salary, but require different aspects of work ethic. Artists and actors require different aspects of creativity.

^It are a fact. I know because of my learnings.

YDI for not knowing shit about how difficult art is.