By Anonymous - 20/12/2014 20:00 - United States - Framingham

Today, my fiancé pawned off my engagement ring so he could buy himself a PS4. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 627
You deserved it 4 895

Same thing different taste

Top comments

iTzSelverZz 14

Did he at least buy two controllers so you wont be left out?

Comments

I swear I saw "pwned" the first 3 times I read this. **** you, Internet. You've officially ruined me.

Weren't wearing it or did he slip it off your finger while you were sleeping?

She probably takes it off to do chores and shower. That what my friends did with theirs.

That is a valid question OP. If your engagement ring was so important, how did he get it in the first place to be able to pawn it?

that's a huge red flag. in marriage finances are a huge deal. you need to understand that you can't just splurge anymore, you have to make compromises . and know what's priority to spend on. you can't just pawn things of to get a non necessity. I don't know if I'm making sense. I'm having a hard time trying to put together what I mean. Also that ring is supposed to be a symbol of a promise to be partners in life. I could understand if you guys were really short on cash and had no choice. In summary that was seriously messed up. Hope everything world out for you OP.

Don't worry you made perfect sense. If anyone was confused by what you said they're either an actual child or a very broke adult.

xluciferx666 21

Take it and pawn it while he is at work pocket the money and act like you know nothing

PSA: Pawning does not mean "selling". OP will get the ring back once her fiance has paid the broker. Whether or not this changes your opinion on the FML is up to you.

True but he might not be able to come up with the money to get her ring back. He couldn't afford the PS4 that has been out for over a year now, what makes you think he'll be able to get her ring back?

@53 - My guess is that it wasn't a big loan, you don't really get much for pawning jewellery. He likely had most of the money already and needed to top himself off. I interpreted the whole FML as a disagreement, with OP not feeling comfortable that her fiance wanted to do it. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here that he didn't go behind her back completely, since it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere that her trust was betrayed or that she was unaware that it was happening. Usually FML's aren't worded so vaguely if there are details like that.

If that's the case then he should of pawned something of value that belonged to him. A PS4 is no excuse for pawning your current finance's engagement ring.

@109 - I didn't excuse his behavior, I was just responding to your comment about the logic/wording of the FML. That's the way I read it.

The ring does belong to him. Ownership does not transfer until the marriage is legal finalized. Not saying I agree with what he did, just pointing out that it is, in fact, his ring.

164, just pointing out, once again, that you are wrong.

No, I'm not. go ask an attorney or judge. It is a "conditional gift". Its a gift only under the condition they get married, until then it remains the property of the purchaser. I'm going to bet you have never given or been given an engagement ring then fought a legal battle over it when the engagement was broken off, because if you had then you would know that I'm right. I spent a lot of money on that ring and she thought the same as you, that it was hers outright, I won that battle in court.

http://m.chron.com/life/article/Texas-law-says-engagement-ring-is-a-conditional-2078505.php nice try, but wrong buddy. try actually doing some research before trying to state a "fact" this article is from Texas, where I live. most other states are the same. look it up.

That is so messed up on every level. It shows that he cares more about a gaming system than his commitment to marrying you and while I would not normally jump on the "dump him" bandwagon, you should really reevaluate whether you really want to marry this butt nugget.

Are you sure you want to be engaged to a man child?

Parvati48 15

And you let him? That's low for him to do, sorry OP!

Considering she's complaining about it on FML I highly doubt she let him do that.

Then how did he do it? Did he force it off her finger? If so, I think the OP would have mentioned it.