By janused - 18/02/2015 17:17 - Canada - Vancouver

Today, my dad still refuses to repay the loan I gave him. I've just barely managed to pay my bills, and I'm now so poor that I'll have to survive the next 3 days until my next paycheck by eating the only thing left in my fridge: a jar of cheese whiz. FML
I agree, your life sucks 36 903
You deserved it 3 628

Same thing different taste

Top comments

colton_colton 49

Just go "borrow" some of his food or money

As someone who works in a financial institution, I am sad to say that I see parents taking money from their kids quite often (because their name is on the account). I hope you no longer allow yourself to loan money to your dad since you must take care of yourself as well. I hope your dad will realize he is being a selfish asshole and will pay you back in the near future. Best of luck OP.

Comments

OP, there a few ways to eat well on a pocket change - pasta is one of those things with noodles also on that list.

I'm one of those people, given that it doesn't matter who you are... If you cross me I will try and make your life hell. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing but you should try it on your dad OP. I've got some tips if you like.

PANDORUM89 21

I've come to realize that if you give money you better not expect it back. You can ask for it back of course but usually its going to end in a bad feud. In this situation with a family member I'd ask for a couple bucks or go over for dinner or whatever. Also I'd like to point out that as your dad he "loaned" you thousands taking care of you so I wouldn't sit on the fact he hasn't returned your money just ask him for a little bit back if he has it.

Money spent on kids is an investment in the future, not a loan to the kid. My dad tried that shit on me to try to stop me getting a place of my own. Made feel much better about moving out.

PANDORUM89 21

An investment pays you back if you invest properly. I understand if someone holds that over your head. however this is a typical case of a child giving money to a parent and apparently sitting in bitterness waiting to be repaid. my best advice is to let it go unless you don't want to have a relationship with your dad. You wanting to move out is not the same as giving your parents money and wanting it back.

You don't "loan" your kids money by doing your duty of providing for them after you choose to have them. It's an obligation, not some kind of deferred interest credit you expect to get big returns on later. Your kids are your kids, not stock. Jesus Christ.

Don't you have any friends or family who you can go to, to eat what ever they're having for lunch or dinner and so on? That's what I always do

appared1992 4

Go to a food pantry or a local church. They give out groceries to those who need them

Hun, next time you give a loan make sure you are able to and maybe have him sign something to prove that he owes you money back. If he refuses you can take him to court of law and bring the sheet of paper you both signed that stated you gave him a loan. He would have to pay you back then.

JayVicious 20

hmm wouldnt you have to have a witness to be viable?

If it gets to that point with family, it's better to just plain refuse or make it a gift, and tell them you know you won't get it back.

PANDORUM89 21

I feel that it would be better to say no to giving out the money because taking someone to court means you will only have a bad relationship with them. if rather have a good relationship with my family than have my money back.

This is why you 1. Never lend money to family and 2. Never lend money you cant live without. I clicked both. Lesson learned.