By Lucachoo - 22/09/2015 00:35 - United States - San Francisco

Today, my boyfriend cooked us a romantic dinner using the oven. The oven he recently hid $3,000 in for safekeeping. We essentially just spent thousands of dollars on a casserole. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 857
You deserved it 12 584

Lucachoo tells us more.

So yeah, storing money in the oven is a terrible idea. My bf (we'll call him Huck because he's a dumbass) is a bit paranoid and insisted on hiding the money somewhere where burglars couldn't find it. I told him it was fine since our nearest neighbors are a couple miles away but he insisted so I just gave up. Didn't realize that idiot would hide the cash in the oven then have a huge brain fart and use the oven to cook. We aren't complete idiots though, we do keep our life savings in the bank. The reason Huck put money in the oven was because we live on a farm that's a bit distant from the nearest major bank. We keep some money on hand in case something breaks and we have to fix it or make repairs and such. It's quicker when we have the money on hand. Otherwise we'd have to spend a couple hours driving to the bank, buying supplies, then coming back. Also while money does burn at 451 degrees, 451 degrees is the auto-ignition point of paper (the temperature that paper catches fire without being exposed to an external flame). So if the air temperature was 451 degrees the money would have burned but Huck put the money at the bottom of the oven, right on top of the hot metal burner thingy (I don't know what it's called) and that metal thing gets red hot. But yeah, Huck realized his stupidity after the oven finished preheating and managed to save some of the money though a third of it still burned to some degree. I'm still pretty pissed regardless and kinda feel like shoving Huck into the oven as well. The fact that he was trying to be nice by cooking dinner is the only thing preventing me from completely going apeshit on him. The first thing I'm making him do is go to the bank and try to replace the money. And he will never be in charge of safekeeping money ever again.

Top comments

Well hiding money in an oven isn't a very good idea. Takes a whole new meaning to burning through cash.

exoticDeath 20

Why would you even THINK of hiding $3,000 in a oven? That's like withdrawing all the money in your savings account so you can have something to throw into the fire when you go camping.

Comments

I guess you could say your savings went up in flames

moo77_fml 20

OMG.. Why?? Why the oven.. Clearly you guys have money to burn lol

With that kind of cash they could have bought a separate oven just to store cash in - but then they wouldn't have any cash to store... Hmm. Quite the conundrum.

Maybe he should have bought a safe instead of using the oven.

Who the hell keeps money hidden in an oven?

I would twist his face off with my bare hands. Not literally but I would feel like it, for sure. Sorry about your financial loss.

LostInTheZone11 29

I just had a flashback to a childhood book I have on dumb criminals and other bloopers. A story like this was in it and had about the same number in bills that burned. Just in english pounds. Maybe consider a bank or a safe.

I would seriously consider breaking up with someone for being THAT stupid. That's just too much.

Honestly, I hit YDI for the poor judgement of even dating that baboon.

I'd bet OP agreed to it, by how it's phrased.