By parisklutz - 20/10/2012 07:06 - France - Dounoux

Today, it was my first day in Paris. I've been saving up for five years. It was a rainy day, but I was determined to go see the Eiffel Tower. On my way, I fell down a slippery set of stairs and knocked both of my front teeth out. Now, I have the view of the Eiffel Tower from my hospital window. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 493
You deserved it 3 270

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Think of it this way, that's one view of the Eiffel Tower you'll never forget, and you have a story to go along with it. Sorry OP, that's a crappy way to spend your vacation.

Comments

Make sure to close your mouth in all the pictures. You're in Paris. Might as well make the most of the situation and have decent photos to put on your wall.

Meh the eiffel tower really isnt a big deal. Terrible food, always rainy, the only time i would want to be on it would be if Toby Turner was. Otherwise its not worth shit.

Please stay where you are and don't visit us anymore

Apparently people hate it when you speak english.

This is why people should branch out more and make friends from around the world. Then you don't have to spend 5 years saving up for a crappy vacation...you can save up a couple hundred dollars for a flight and sleep on a couch or in a guest room. I've visited Chicago x1, NYC x2, Paris x3, Cairo x2, and Doha x1 (from the US) on a college student's budget and I earn WAAAAAAY less than I did in high school. PLUS you get free guided tours of the cities (from your friends) and cheaper everything (because they're locals and know what they're doing). YDI not because you fell and had an accident, but because you're not a savvy traveler. Better luck next time.

ok i understand what you are saying BUT i see no way the it is OP's fault. Sure they could have made friends but that doesnt nesseserily meen that they will want you to sleep in there house. And one of the things that i look forward to when i go somewhere is staying in a local hotel or other lodgeings. And just because the friend lives in france or even paris (or where ever you want to go) doesn't mean that they will know how to get around, that they will take you to see it, or that they will show you local shops. Sure, OP prob. got charged more on the things she bought, but EVERYWHERE does that she's a TOURIST thats what they do spend outrageus amounts of money on trinkets. And if she didn't want to do that she could have done a little research or just asked to locals where their favorite shops are if she wanted to go to those kinds of shops. All in all i don't see how in any situation that OP is in the fault, it seems more like to me that you are a bitter person who sees everything as a bad things and that everyone deserves the bad things that happen to them. Plus everything you said in your comment had NOTHING to do with the post anyway, and THATS what we are voting on, not OPs travel savvyness.

Actually, if you re-read it, I was commenting on how OP saved for 5 years for a vacation that ended badly. Being travel savvy is good if you don't want to spend exorbitant amounts of money for "once-in-a-lifetime" vacations. Get some good friends who are willing to host you (note: I'm not saying to use them) and visit them. Simple. Then you can do and see all the cool stuff in a city instead of sticking to the tourist sites. Paris is SO MUCH more than the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre. And if you fall and break your teeth? No worries, you can go again and still probably won't have spent as much money on the cost of a hotel for one week. Of course, if you just don't have time to go back for work or other obligations, then you're just out of luck.

doglover100 28

That is a crappy way to spend vacation, but you can still see the tower.

58-My French teacher told us that if we try to speak French, they'll even go as far as to speak English to show their appreciation. Look at it this way, when People visit America, you want them to speak English, right?

# 65 We, French people, don't speak English back to show our appreciation... It is just we are selfish, and impatient... We prefer to practise our English than listen to bad French...

ideasrule 13

Quel dommage! J'ai visité la France il y a 6 ans avec ma classe, et j'adore les gens, la cuisine, les sites touristiques... J'aime la langue francais aussi, bien que mon francais est manifestement terrible. J'espère que tu te guérisses bientôt et aie l'occasion d'explorer cette belle ville! How terrible! I visited France 6 years ago with my class, and I love its people, its cuisine, its tourist sites...I also like the French language, even though my French is obviously terrible. I hope you get well soon and get the chance to explore this beautiful city!

ideasrule 13

Thumbs down for wishing the OP well?

Look on the bright side, you are in a country with health care so you don't have to worry about the bill being too expensive.

At least in Paris there is free Heath care