By Anonymous - 20/10/2010 04:41 - United States

Today, I went to the doctor's for the third time in a week for a huge growth under my jaw. I have seen an urgent care doctor, an emergency room doctor and an ear, nose and throat specialist who all gave me different diagnoses. I've so far spent $300. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 390
You deserved it 2 963

Same thing different taste

Top comments

doggone456 0

hey your better safe than sorry, money can be replaced and gotten back, a person can't, u might wanna get a PET scan on it to see if it's cancerous or benine

It seem obvious to me that you should trust the third doctor (the expert). ER and urgent doctors are adept at all medicine but only experts at emergencies like trauma.

Comments

kiakia0131 23

I know your frustration OP. I have been feeling like crap for nearly 5 months now. No doctor seems to know what is wrong with me. I have thyroid nodules (one a huge lump!) but they still don't know what caused them or what is making me feel sick. I too have nearly $300 in medical bills I have to pay off. They seem to just brush everything off. Maybe we are both just crazy OP.

BelleBelle_fml 11

You might want to look up lymphadenopathy.

sweetcheeksjvl 0

You know what I've noticed we have to be our own freaking doctor.For example,let's say you go to 4 different doctors to get 1 diagnosis.In most cases especially those that are in diar need of medical help,literally get no solid diagnosis of what they have and doctors assume otherwise,and never bother to find out what's truly wrong with their patient.So the patient has to do their own research and move on from it.Waiting waiting and waiting just wasting money or soca leeching off the insurance.I say keep trying OP and don't give up,sadly if you have to google your symptoms and bring them to your next doctor for help,then do it.Well good luck OP.

91: Being your own advocate and learning how to be a good patient are imperatives for getting good healthcare, and IMO, that's a good thing. Docs are forced to spend limited time with each patient, and too many people put the responsibility for their own health entirely upon their doctor's shoulders. You're the one whose life is affected; you should consequently be as proactive as possible about your treatment and diagnosis. I've found that if you walk into an appointment prepared, with a list of written questions, a second person to help you remember and fully understand the answers, and as much knowledge as you can get beforehand about how the affected part of your body works, doctors will respect you more and take you more seriously. It's important to insist upon getting the correct medical terms for later research on your own, as well as an explanation of how any tests ordered will work, and why they're necessary. Note that I'm not talking about self-diagnosis, per se; walking into an appt. with an opinion formed by WebMD is kind of insulting. Even if you have a good reason to suspect a particular diagnosis, docs aren't going to put you in the "smart patient" category, but the "panicked and arrogant" category if you're already convinced you have something you read about online.

Its because those doctors are idiots! Time to see Dr House

shughes183 4

sounds like goiter, an iodine deficiency.

Goiter is a wastebasket term for an enlarged thyroid, which is found in front of the trachea, not under the jaw. It isn't necessarily caused by iodine deficiency, although worldwide that is by far the most common cause.

RedPillSucks 31

Unfortunately, doctors aren't gods and can't always fix everything or don't always immediately know what the problem is. My wife's cousin had a long chronic illness that was never diagnosed. The doctors just kept removing parts of her until there was nothing left to remove. All they could suggest was to drink a lot of beer for calories, and smoke a lot of pot (this was 20yrs ago too) to increase her appetite and reduce nausea.

RachaelQ 0

$300 for all that? I think that's a typo. My doctor billed me $800 for a routine check-up. If you only paid $300, this isn't an FML at all! $3000 I would understand.

Dude. It's a lymph node. You probably have an infection or had an allergic reaction.