By Anonymous - 30/09/2014 23:42 - United States - Richmond

Spicy
Today, I was taking a table's order. After I finished, the guy told me, "Just FYI, I'm not a tipper." Trying to lighten up the situation, I replied, "It's amazing how many people forget I handle their food." He complained to the manager that I'd threatened him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 688
You deserved it 10 137

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I hope you got the chance to spit in it anyway.

And that's when you charge his bill extra

Comments

sailorarctic 22

people that don't tip make me want to punch them in the throat. My husband used to not tip when we first started dating and never understood why I always got so angry and eventually tipped our servers out of my own pocket until I told him that servers don't make minimum wage and often have to split their tips with the bussers and sometimes the kitchen staff so they quite literally live off their tips. He admitted he didn't know that because he had never had to work in a restaurant but I have and ever since he leaves at least 15% more if the service was good. If you can't afford the tip or think that you don't have to tip just because you have some sick sense of entitlement then either don't go out or hire a damned maid to cook your meals at home for you so the rest of society doesn't have to put up with your BS.

I'm sick of all the wait staff who blame everything on the customer, this is not the customers fault you are being treated like shit, it's your industry's fault. You should blame your manage/boss every single day for the way they treat you. If you think tips should be mandetory, fine, BUT DO NOT CALL THEM TIPS. A tip is "an added BONUS". The way you are using the word is ugly and only insults/harasses the customer. I always tip when I go out/get delivery, but I despise the practice, it makes me feel like I'm getting screwed by the company and unfairly fined for something that is not my obligation. It is the job creator's obligation to pay his work force, if you want more money you should be getting it from your supervisor not from the customers, if the supervisor needs more money to pay you he should charge more for the meal. At no point should it be the customers expectation to pay the servers wage, you do not work for us, just because you are serving us does not make you our employees, you work for the restaurant, we pay the restaurant, the restaurant pays you. It's such a ludicrous notion that an employee can sit there and not be paid by their employer and then turn around and blame the customer for not making enough money, that is not our fault, and you are doing nothing but attacking your customers for a problem your industry created. Tips should be entirely reserved as a bonus on top of already great pay that comes from your boss, if and ONLY IF you bust your ass and provide great service to the point where the customer says hey this person deserves more money than adequate pay, it shouldn't be considered "hey this person deserves to be paid" IT'S A BONUS NOT A RIGHT. Find a different word for tip if you want to keep using it the way you do.

Wow. You deserve it. You should know that the customer is always right even if they're assess.

if he pays by credit card, you can always write it in haha

I understand why customers like him are upsetting, but I don't really get why people take this route as revenge. Or why they seek to take revenge. If a customer is rude to me, I just let it show on my face, and inform them why they're being rude or unfair. "Sir, do you realize that I make 2.13 an hour, and without tips, I would have no living wage?" That kind of directness almost always embarrasses them or gets them to reassess their decision. And I can stand behind my actions if they complain or the boss talks to me. There's no reason to be indirect or childish.

"FYI, I'm not responsible for your future food poisoning."

I haven't been a server for 45 years. Then, I needed tips to make ends meet and the economy was a hell of a lot better. After school, I went to cooking school, but could never make myself work in a restaurant again. I still work as an engineer, but I NEVER tip less that 20% (rounding up.) I remember.

Just FYI, you shouldn't be eating in a restaurant, guy! Go home and get yourself your own food.

I was taught that when you start your shift & you're on the main floor (serving/waitressing/assisting customers, whatever) it's like you've entered centre stage as the star of the show. Regardless of whether they tip or not, an excellent experience had by the customer should be a high priority. If one is faced with a retread fuckbag of a customer, simply turn up the sugary sweetness. Smile just that little bit bigger. Kill them with kindness, so then they feel like the shithouse assbandit they are and cannot fault you or your service. Should they return, perhaps your outstanding performance previously may be the trigger to them starting to tip. OP, I believe your response was tongue in cheek, as I have said on many an occasion, it's not wise to piss off those who handle your food & don't bite the hand that feeds you,. However, it was in conversation with my regulars whom I'd established a decent repetoire with. When you go out the back, that's when you can complain and threaten and insult the fucktards making your job hard. But, when you're on the floor, the mask and show goes on & issues are left behind for later. I feel annoyed that there's no base pay rate for servers in USA that isn't insulting. There should be a working model/schedule introduced with a flat/base rate of pay of $10 at entry level and the more experience you have, the more should be payed and capped at $20hr for a full time basic working week plus tips. Even minimum wage here in Australia is $8.00hr. Seems like America needs to have a good hard look at itself and how it treats the low income earners.

Ok if you mr at a restaurant and their is a server.... TIP THEM!!!! They bust their ass to make sure you have a good experience and they don't get paid much. When I was a waitress I made 2.13 an hour. That's not much to live on.