By meglast - 29/08/2016 16:48 - United States - San Antonio

Today, I was motivated enough to run on the treadmill for the first time in a long time. The movement knocked my downstairs neighbor's ceiling fan down. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 503
You deserved it 1 446

meglast tells us more.

OP here. It was inconsiderate of me to use the treadmill in an upstairs apartment. Mine isn't very loud and I know the neighbor wasn't asleep, but I still should have thought of the noise. I was very embarrassed, but it is being taken care of and they weren't upset. They just asked me to move the treadmill to another room. I am a small woman-114lbs- I just thought it was funny imagining that I made the whole building shake.

Top comments

I'm sure your downstairs neighbors aren't fans of your new exercising.

I'm glad you agree that it may be a tad noisy, as opposed to the people saying "don't want to live below stomping, buy a house!" It would definitely shock me if I caused the building to break too!

Comments

Sounds like that fan should have been anchored in better. Even if there was a genuine earthquake (well a mild one, not the building breaking type) it should not fall. It is not your fault, though maybe you can train to be a bit ligther on your feet. My first times on the treadmill I stomped a bit. Try landing a bit more on the "tippy toes" part of your feet and then to the heel in a fluid motion. It takes time to get it right.

Texas very rarely receives earthquake activity due to our location on the tectonic plate. We don't even have building codes specific to earthquakes. We're more worried about hurricanes, tornados, flooding, and drought. Besides which, apartment complexes are notorious for cheaping out on maintenance and such, so it's no surprise the fan may not have been installed correctly. Regardless, OP shouldn't even have a treadmill if they live on an upper floor. Those things are loud and cause vibration regardless of how lightly you try to step on them.

Good for you for working out. Sounds like the apartments weren't put together well. And if your neighbors think they're too good to have a "noisy upstairs neighbor" then they should go rent or buy a house. Keep it up.

That had nothing to do with the whole "noisy upstairs neighbors" thing. The ceiling fan just fell off. And as someone who lives in an apartment with actual noisy upstairs neighbors, i'm gonna tell you 2 things : -respect, this implies caring about the fact you live in an apartment and trying to not be too noisy out of respect for you neighbors, it isn't a matter of being "too good". You live with other people, you should respect each other. -usually, people live in an apartment because they can't afford living in a house, genius.

OP here. It was inconsiderate of me to use the treadmill in an upstairs apartment. Mine isn't very loud and I know the neighbor wasn't asleep, but I still should have thought of the noise. I was very embarrassed, but it is being taken care of and they weren't upset. They just asked me to move the treadmill to another room. I am a small woman-114lbs- I just thought it was funny imagining that I made the whole building shake.

I'm glad you agree that it may be a tad noisy, as opposed to the people saying "don't want to live below stomping, buy a house!" It would definitely shock me if I caused the building to break too!

I should mention that the noise my treadmill makes is nothing compared to the construction work going on outside. At the same time the ceiling fan could have been dangerous if the neighbors have toddlers or pets down there. Whatever the case, I think it's gong in storage for a while.

You can always sell it and use that money to help pay for a gym membership. That way you get access to more and better equipment. Or you could go to your local community center dying open gym hours

species4872 19

Resonance caused the fan to fall.

If a ceiling fan fell as a result of the vibration from a treadmill, it wasn't installed properly. Period. This is a common problem when homeowners/landlords install them. There are code requirements that are generally not met when amateurs make home improvements. A properly installed ceiling fan should last as long as the motor holds up. The one in my home survived two pretty major earthquakes.

If it's a weight problem and you're trying to lose weight, it's not only easier to just eat less calories than your TDEE, but it's essential to eat less than you burn in a day in order to lose the weight. If you're like over 300 lbs you should lose weight through dieting first as walking and jogging will be very hard on your joints.

Read the follow up. She's 114 lbs. She is not obese.

although they're not exactly heavy, I would say this is good advice for anyone trying to lose weight.