By rachelhope - 11/07/2014 17:07 - United States - Dundalk

Today, I was in a restaurant bathroom, when another girl walked in. I have anxiety issues, and couldn't leave my stall until the other person went first. She rushed into a stall and had violent diarrhea for a good 10 minutes. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 179
You deserved it 9 496

rachelhope tells us more.

rachelhope 7

To those telling me to leave while she was in the bathroom: you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how anxiety works. My mind was in a state of "The minute I exit my stall she is going to as well." While I knew this was unlikely, I still couldn't physically bring myself to leave. Additionally, I'd like to thank those of you who left positive comments. I'm trying to overcome this. :)

Top comments

Why didn't you sneak out while she was in the stall though? Even if you have anxiety issues, she sure was busy haha

nevergiveinever 19

she didn't say she was embarrassed. i have a similar anxiety and i can't do any of my business and most other tasks unless I'm totally alone. it's not about embarrassment, it's about being afraid in general. if you have anxiety, it's like anything you do or another person does could drastically alter or destroy a moment or the entire relationship between you and that person, no matter if you actually know them or not. anything could go wrong and anything could happen as a result of that and it would be all our fault. we know how unreasonable and silly it may sound to you, but have you ever gone out in public and felt immediately afraid? that's how it is every single day. I'm not afraid that I'm going to embarrass myself, I'm afraid that someone else is going to find a reason to hate me or put me down or immediately start judging me to my face or hit me or shank me or cause some kind of drama/problem with me. even just sitting next to someone in a bathroom stall is enough to make you think "oh god......" and start thinking about every possible way that the situation could go wrong. it sucks. but it's just how our brains work. it's not embarrassing, it's terrifying.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

How could you hold it in with that going on. I'd laughing too hard.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Different people have different anxiety issues. OP was probably fine in crowds but gets an anxiety attack at the possibility of someone seeing her use a public restroom.

It's really hard for me to use public restrooms because the thought of someone hearing me pee makes me feel very awkward and uncomfortable and I will not pee until they have left.

Like the other comments have said, maybe OP is specifically anxious about using public toilets. Also it's possible that it was something she had to go to, maybe a work thing or a birthday. Going to crowded places with anxiety can be really hard, but it can also be hard (and maybe even lead to more anxiety) to say no to every single event that you get invited to, for fear of coming off as rude among other things

Start doing chain flushing. Then you don't have to listen to that noise.

Plot twist: that girl also has anxiety issues and in the process, severe diarrhea.

LOL, That could get awkward real fast if neither wants to leave before the other due to anxiety.

What a shitty situation to be in. Amirite?

Appropriate name, bad comment. Hope you're ready to be down voted into oblivion.

Ok, you're probably new to FML but you will quickly learn that using "shitty situation" or any variation of this along with any other X situation variant on here tends to get jumped on and down voted pretty quick because they are way overused.

Yikes!! That really sucks OP. I hope that this experience makes it easier for you to leave next time

Imagine this scenario... Diarrhea girl also suffers from the same anxiety problem. After and awkward period of time after the violent diarrhea episode they tentatively strike up a conversation and bravely agree to overcome their fears together. They both emerge from their stalls at the same time and just then the worst possible thing happens, someone else enters the restroom and another FML is born.

Or they could just stay there in total awkwardness and waste their entire day doing nothing

I get this at work, I go in and someone always walks in and does their makeup for a good 10-15 minutes and they walk out looking exactly the same as they did before. Then as I'm about to leave the stall someone else comes in :(