By Anonymous - 25/10/2012 20:13 - United States

Today, I was fired for actively seeking employment with another company. Because of having just been fired, the other company will no longer give me the time of day. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 188
You deserved it 4 575

Same thing different taste

Top comments

The only way they could have found out that you were looking for another job is if you A) mentioned it or B) used your current boss as a reference. In either case, you're an idiot.

Psych101 9

And also well established means of producing a regular income to support oneself and possibly family. You got the main points though.

Comments

Just for the future 1) never trust anyone to tell them important info at work. 2) Make your phone calls at home

I am pretty sure that is illegal. You might want to look into it. At least you qualify for unemployment, unless they make up some BS about you.

At least you're not in Britain OP. Here benefits can be denied to you for up to three years if you get fired :/

Kristoffer 35

Sounds like grounds for a lawsuit if you ask me.

Unless you were behaving like a complete ass in work, then that sounds like unfair dismissal.

For everyone saying that it's illegal for them to do this, actually businesses can fire you for just about any reason they want, and other businesses can refuse to hire you for any reason they want (excluding gender, race, sexual preference, religion, etc). At any rate the OP should have been more careful in their job search.

If they fired you just because of that, to give you a hard time finding a new job because you wouldn't like to stay with them, they really should get sued! Why not just let you go since you don't want to be there - make you fill out a report about wanting to quit?