By Anonymous - 10/11/2017 18:00 - United Kingdom - Derby

Today, after being hit by a car, I got up and hobbled to work instead of the hospital because no one else would cover my management shift. FML
I agree, your life sucks 4 248
You deserved it 401

Top comments

I somehow doubt you got injured that badly if you decided work was still doable...

Many jobs will pull crap like that, if you give them an option. If you tell them you ARE going to the hospital, and don't give them a choice, I bet they would find someone to cover.

Comments

I somehow doubt you got injured that badly if you decided work was still doable...

Well, if you had the option to hobble to the hospital and you didn't then you must have not been that injured. Plus, if you called work and told them what happened and they had time to call around and see if someone wanted to cover your shift, what were you doing in between that time? Hobbling on the sidewalk?

Many jobs will pull crap like that, if you give them an option. If you tell them you ARE going to the hospital, and don't give them a choice, I bet they would find someone to cover.

chessu 21

Yeah, I agree with the previous comments. I'm pretty sure in the UK your work is not allowed to question your illness unless it's happening all the time (we need to have an HR meeting if we pass 3 times or 10 days or something similar). Even if you fake call in sick (and no one can prove otherwise cause you were an idiot and posted pictures from the beach), you're legally not obliged to give details. You should've rung in and said that you were in an accident and unable to come in and not ask or haggle about it. If you can't make it, they will have to and will make do. A little bit YDI here.

The UK has "great" labor laws. They say you shouldn't work more than 8 hours a day. Walking 6 miles in a 10 hour shift at a big box online retailer is practically criminal over there.

Mungolikecandy 19

The maximum 48 hour week (unless you sign it away) is actually an EU law rather than a specific British law, so may not be around much longer. Those who work for Amazon in the UK have been reported as having significantly worse conditions than just walking 6 miles in a 10-hour shift as they are doing 12-hour shifts with expectations of far more work than that.

Sucks you were hit but a HUGE mistake not going to check yourself over, unless you weren't actually hit so badly and are undoubtedly okay. If you do have any injury, insurance usually won't cover it if you went to work afterwards. Besides, surely your work would've lasted ONE DAY without you?

You don’t even have a reasonable excuse, like you live in America under Donald Trump where your employers can bully you and get away with it. Go to the hospital!

Honey, no. I was a retail manager. I got hit by a tree the day before a visit with our store's VP. I called, said I was in the ER and I wasn't coming in for a week. They weren't happy about it, but what were they going to do?

I would bet a weeks pay that they wouldn't show you anything close to that level of loyalty. Go to the doctor.

go to the hospital. if you were hit and banged your head you might not remember it but it could be dangerous