By jailofc - 07/11/2012 05:48 - United States - Flagstaff

Today, I was bitched out by my supervisor because of my lack of "customer service" skills. I work at a jail and all my "customers" are criminals. FML
I agree, your life sucks 27 225
You deserved it 4 694

jailofc tells us more.

Hey everyone I am the OP, I am a CO at a very "nice" jail as I like to think, we treat our inmates with respect as long as they show respect back ( I didn't mean to start a political debate here haha). Basically, I thought it was stupid to be bitched out about my "customer service" because that is a very strange thing to say about a jail, where SAFETY and SECURITY should be priority. And frankly, I don't believe my *accused* criminals should be served in any other way besides providing safety and security.

Comments

AgentSmith79 9

So you're a judge and jury too? Hate to break it to you, but our system isn't perfect. Not every inmate is actually a criminal. Most people in a jail (as opposed to a prison) are simply waiting for their day in court to determine their guilt or innocence. So, not everyone in there is a criminal. And even if they were, you should still treat them with the same respect you want them to show you. That's part of their human rights.

ideasrule 13

That's your excuse for not having customer service skills? First of all, I hope you know that many inmates are just awaiting trial, and that US law presumes them to be innocent until proven guilty. Second of all, treating criminals like human beings is MORE important, not less, than treating ordinary people likewise. Many criminals commit their crimes because they feel detached from society--they don't feel society is benefiting them, or that they have anything to gain from taking part in it, or that it's mistreating them in some way. The OP is doing nothing but increasing this detachment and interfering with the criminals' reintegration into society.

gregkingsley 4

I've worked in a fed prison before. Let me tell u it was like a college dorm but u couldn't leave. Cable tv , Internet , come and go threw the prison as u please, relaxed dress codes, outside hoop time when ever. It's no wonder some of these guys repeat offend and don't mind going back .

MarineWifey88 3

People in jail are still human and deserve to be treated with common decency. And they're not all criminals. I was there for 2 months on false charges that were eventually dropped. Most of the people I met were decent human beings. Making a mistake doesn't mean you should be treated like an animal.

noisebox 1

Wow give those guys a break and you'll regret it, is your boss a con lover?

Ah, so your jail participates in the hug a thug program.

@ 76 i agree with u 100% yeh they may have done the wrong thing but they are still human beings and they deserve to be treated like one! Do u really think treating them like shit will make them come out a nicer person? use ur brains!

Trying to imagine "customer service" vis a vis guards and inmates- imagination goes something like this, three times convicted child rapist "Oh guard could you bring me a sparkling spring water with a twist of lemon on ice? And really this pillow is sooo lumpy could you be a good fellow and fluff it for me?" Guard "yes Sir. right away Sir, will that be all Sir?" Bit ridiculous right, like your boss.

I agree Inmates are humans and need to be treated with a certain amount of dignity and respect. However there s a fine line between respect and kissing someone's ass to provide "great customer service" such as catering to them on hand and foot which is bullshit not everyone in jail is in there because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

ranbam88 0

wow just becuz their in jail doesn't mean you don't treat them with respect...their still humans, just like you and me and being in jail doesn't mean a dam when it comes to common courtesy