By Thewatcher - 22/10/2014 08:09 - Mauritius

Today, I tried to download some network-monitoring software for the office as I suspect that one of my staff has been constantly downloading torrents. It wouldn't download because someone was using all the bandwidth. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 899
You deserved it 3 279

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Hiimhaileypotter 52

At least when you do manage to download it you'll be able to find out who's doing it!

lexiieeex3 32

Once it downloads you'll find the culprit and now at least you know there will be many opportunities to find proof against them.

Comments

Hiimhaileypotter 52

At least when you do manage to download it you'll be able to find out who's doing it!

Some slacker is probably using it for netflix!

Hiimhaileypotter 52

Hopefully they'll get in trouble when OP catches them.

Change the password, install the software, change the password back to the old one, find out who did it.

incoherentrmblr 21

Torrents will bring your network to a crawl...

#41 If it's in an office it is most likely a wired connection, therefore changing the password would do nothing.

With cable you can still take them out 1 by 1 and see after which one the bandwith is back to normal, then you have the culprit

The easiest solution: Just go to their office and tell your staff "I don't know which one of you is downloading large files but I want that person to stop doing this immediately. I'm trying to be nice and not make a big deal out of it but if it doesn't stop I will have to take the matter further. I want to remind you that you are not anonymous on the network. Have a nice day."

lexiieeex3 32

Once it downloads you'll find the culprit and now at least you know there will be many opportunities to find proof against them.

Why is this comment getting negative votes?

randomguy76 14

Might want to have a firm talk with the staff...

I can't believe people do stuff like that on work computers...hopefully it's worth their job :p

I watch Netflix at work. I go on eBay and Amazon at work. I could download almost anything I want at work. Some jobs allows Internet surfing when it's slow. Depends on the job.

That may be 30, but if you start disrupting your coworkers ability to work because of it (not saying you are, I work IT and understand) it becomes a problem.

Yeah, I've never gone overboard. It's just normal internet usage.

Just turn the internet off in the middle of downloads.

Uh, yeah it is, especially if you work in the IT department...

While possible to turn the net off it disrupts everyone else. All torrent software will resume.

tony1891 22

Probably watching girls gone wild on their computer.

This is more like, "Oh the irony". either way tell the boss or if that's you make an announcement to make it stop.

Yes. An announcement will make it all stop. *rolls eyes*