By averagemom4days - 07/09/2016 02:45 - United States - Roosevelt

Today, I spent a ridiculous amount of time working and reworking a design for a client. Eight hours and many tears later, she sends an email saying, "Let's go with the first design. I liked that one the most." FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 052
You deserved it 1 028

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I hate when others don't appreciate hard work that you put in.

At least the client didn't cancel. But Fyl for the waste of 8 hours.

Comments

FalloutScrolls 25

I know that feeling, too. Every time my wife wants me to rearrange the furniture in the living room. "To the left a bit. Maybe a bit more. Just a little more. Oh...I liked it better where it was before. Can you move it back to where it was? No, just a bit to the right. Actually wait...move it back to the left again..." icri

I agree that is somewhat annoying, but, isn't presenting different options sort of a requirement in any job that involves design? If that's your biggest beef at work, then I want your life.

Yes you provide different sketches and stuff, but there is a limit to how much you can change something. Some people aren't satisfied with anything making it extremely difficult to work with them. As an artist, we do send sketches and progress pics along the way. Now imagine you're working with a client, after hours you come to an agreement with a sketch, you work on it sending progress pics along they way and they agree it looks good. Then when you're about to finish they tell you they don't like it and want you to start again. Now, you've sat there for 8 hours, your hand is sore from the movements, you haven't had a proper break if you're the focused type, you're hungry and tired all around. Odds are they will still pay you the same amount and not want to pay for this extra work, so for all that effort you put in you won't get paid for.

Well all I can say is, as a designer you should expect people to want to compare it to something. Like if I go to a tattoo shop, I'm not going to okay the first design without seeing a few variations. Although this doesn't mean you can't charge for the creative process that was "wasted" (edit: basically what #19 said)

Welcome to my universe. Someone wanted me to design a tattoo and I had a ton of stuff to do around that time so I did the tattoo and he belittled it and refused to pay me. He thought he still was my friend after that but I wanted nothing to do with him. I'm so sorry you went through that OP

Assuming the OP was actually paid for the work they put in (due to it not being mentioned in the gripe, I consider it safe to assume he/she was fiscally compensated), I'd say your situation was decidedly worse, #22.

ACCOUNTKILLER 18

Try not to get too stressed with your work, this is just how clients are. I'm sure they didn't intentionally bust your buns- sometimes, they just don't know what they want, which is why they pay you to do it.

I have literally been in your exact situation because I work in public relations. It sucks but I hope you bill hourly, that's what I do when I'm just doing design work.

Tattoo, interior design, or architect? Either way, that sucks. I have learned to always make photo copies so if you have to go back you can use them for reference.

welcome to the design world this is the number one pet peeve in the industry