By Anonymous - 04/09/2015 17:01 - United States - Lake Forest

Today, I showed my daughter video footage from a security camera that showed her using her employee key to enter the store I own, disarming the alarm, and stealing several very valuable items. Her defense? That someone had "photoshopped" the video. We'll see how that goes down in court. FML
I agree, your life sucks 31 258
You deserved it 2 897

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Having to take your own child to court can't be easy, so I'm sorry it's reached this point, OP. Hopefully everything will work itself out, and you and your daughter can make amends. Definitely change the alarm code though.

While editing vids is possible, I doubt its fake. Sorry OP.

Comments

MayankGupta 12

I don't want to sound like a prick and this probably isn't the right time, but could this, also be a case parenting gone wrong? I am sorry for you though, OP.

Wtf that's your daughter. No need to go to court. Just take it back.

KeannaLove 32

What if she sold it? Just because she's he daughter doesn't mean she gets a free pass to steal. OP is doing the right thing.

If this was anyone but OPs daughter your opinion would be very different.

I know your daughter has done wrong but consider the impact that this will have on your daughter it will be hard for her to get a job and apply for different things in her adult life. Its not about punishment mate

So because she's his daughter she should get a free pass for stealing? She made a choice. It's her own ******* fault.

You're right, #38, it's not about punishment. It's about teaching her she cannot get away with stealing, even if it is stealing from family. She should have thought about the consequences before doing the deed, and now she should have to pay the price for it. Stealing is inexcusable, and you think she should just get away with it because the victim is her father? Also, she could very well be an adult already, seeing as she was given enough trust and responsibility to have her own store key and know the security code.

ViviMage 38

Ok, get an expert in graphic design, final cut or photoshop to review the footage and see if there is any edit/tampering. Things like clone brush leave trails, uneven lines, and blurred pixels. If she's right the expert will testify for her. Then when the expert sees no tampering to the footage to place her at the scene, see how well that excuse floats.

I'd go for a video editor to review it, since you wouldn't use Photoshop for something like that. Using final cut would also not be ideal. That being said, it's highly unlikely that the daughter is right. Because that would mean that someone else stole the stuff and also had footage of the daughter to use in its place. I highly doubt that her excuse would be considered a possibility in court.

For all we know, it could've been some Arabian man with mad photoshop skills.

Who cares if it's her daughter, I'd never do this to my mother.I honestly think op should take her to court. Maybe she'll learn

You definitely deserve this one. Bad, lazy parenting gets you problematic kids. Seeing that you are willing to take your own daughter to court explains how divided you and her are.

#50, You don't know a thing about the parenting that was done. Sometimes kids just become rebellious no matter how good the parents are. I would personally assume that he's taking her to court because he loves her. Sometimes you have to send your kids hard messages to get them to understand the gravity of their bad choices. It's likely that he's probably tried other less successful methods to get through her thick skull, but if she's so willing to steal from her own father, then clearly harsher methods are the only things that might work. We don't know all the facts.

Attacksloth 33

I would do the exact same thing in your situation. She needs to know boundaries. Sometimes a talk isn't enough. We know nothing about hers or your background, but if she's doing something so serious and then denying it, there's clearly a problem, and she isn't being accountable for her actions. Sometimes a slap on the wrist (stern talk, grounding) isn't hard enough. I hope you get it sorted and I hope she sees some sense.

Kudos to you for treating her like any other thief. I hate when business owners let family members do whatever they want.