By Jersey girl - 08/12/2016 07:58 - United States - Miami

Today, I requested to have the next Sunday off of my job in retail. Not only did my boss say that we're not allowed to ask for weekends off anymore, but I also have to work on another weekend that I requested off. I guess I'm not going to my sister's wedding. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 584
You deserved it 729

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If you can't go to your sister's wedding, bring your sister's wedding to you. I'm sure your boss would deliver a lovely speech. "Marriage is like working retail. You can't ask for weekends off. And if you already asked for a weekend off, you can't have it anymore."

Talk to higher-ups? I wouldn't just accept this as fair, try to find a solution; best of luck!

Comments

Or your boss might find out he will be a employee short on the next sunday as you can't deny people the option to take a day off in the weekend. You can argue that asking for a day off only a week in advance is too short notice (it is not like your sister just got proposed and decided to get married the next week).

before anyone downvotes, realise this is the time of year every company in retail is looking for people, just start hunting already

A boss can definitely deny a time-off request. However if something is already approved, the right thing to do is to honor the approval.

mariri9206 32

27, most places that are hiring for the holiday season are likely hiring only for the season and there's no guarantee that anyone hired for the season will still be employed after the season. Also, it's pretty late in the season to hunting for one of these jobs and, while places are still hiring, anyone new that's hired would likely be expected to work weekends and the holidays so that wouldn't really help OP with the problem of attending their sister's wedding.

conholio33 28

That really sucks OP. There has to be someway for you to attend your sisters wedding.

Welcome to retail. I haven't had a weekend off since February and won't be getting another one off until January. Even if I ask 3-4 months in advance for a Saturday off, the answer is always no. I had to work all day on my boyfriends birthday, mine and my boyfriend's anniversary and my best friends birthday meaning I couldn't get to see them at all on the days. It sucks, but unfortunately that's just how retail works. Weekends are the busiest times and usually the hardest to get off.

corky1992 33

ive worked retail for years and have always gotten my requested days off.

Well lucky you then, but no one at our place is allowed to book any holiday from November to January. Doesn't matter if it's your birthday, your sisters wedding, hell it could be your wedding and they wouldn't let you have it off. My last job very nearly refused to let me have the day off for my mom's wedding, they tried to make me go to the wedding in my work uniform and the second it was over to come straight to work and work the rest of the day. Maybe some retail stores are kinder with leave, but I've always had trouble being allowed to take any holiday at all. When I was made redundant from my last job I had almost an entire years holiday pay on top of my final salary, not because I never wanted holiday but because we were incredibly short staffed (only had two members of staff at one point) so I was working pretty much every single day and the other member of staff had a kid so she always got priority for days off. I got two days off for my birthday and I was bloody lucky to get those. When I did my apprenticeship in an office I got holiday whenever I wanted, only day I was refused was Christmas Eve. Retail sucks.

WeirdUS 29

Sorry op i've worked in retail for a long time and most jobs require that you ask at least two weeks in advance and then it still no guarantee. A lot of them also go by seniority.

Tartara 15

If you were financially stable enough to not be homeless or not afford food, I'd quit. Your personal well being comes first, family close second, work is third. Family wins over work and I wouldn't miss my siblings wedding for the world. But regardless I'd be looking for another job ASAP.

lukcy_basartd 11

Weigh your options, like **** that dick quit and go see your sister get married. Or work and pretend to be thankful you have that shitty job in the 1st place. Not to sound like an asshole I know work, no matter where, is important..so maybe go for a heart to heart with management and hope they empathize. Tried that already? Try again. All the best to you OP!

you'd have to hope your family agreed, because they'd be the ones supporting you when you quit. congratulations on your wedding sister, im moving in tomorrow

During the holiday season it can damn near impossible to get a day off on the weekends. I've been there, it sucks but being jobless sucks more.

This is when you put in your two weeks. Advantages to this: 1) You don't get fired for going 2) Get to actually go to her wedding 3) Leave the awful boss and job and work somewhere better! Not all bosses are assholes.

rwg926 3

Get another job that allows you to take proper time off. If you need to apply everywhere or take more schooling do it. Working retail should not be a career