By Anonymous - 30/12/2009 08:23 - United States

Today, I received a $105 parking ticket for being in a handicapped space. The lines were covered by snow, and the sign was on the building twenty feet away. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 123
You deserved it 5 344

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Take good pictures and challenge the ticket.

TryToBeKind 0

I would challenge the ticket ther etoo. There are often close parking spots that are non-handicap. For example, maybe the first "row" of cars holds four handicap spots and the fifth one was for the general public. Not knowing that because of the snow was not your fault, you made a reasonable assumption That, and if a person who had a disability had to park on snow like that, they could have fallen on their ass. Definitely challenge the ticket and bring up the fact they weren't keeping it safe to begin with. Good luck!

Comments

Ummmm, wouldn't you kind of assume anything too close to the front would be handicapped? I, personally, would have been searching out a sign. Plus, didn't you see it when you walked up to the building?

MissyWissyKach 0

the fml poster is a liar never once have i seen a handicapped parking sign 20 ft away. it was probably 2 feet away, but because u wanted to be famous and look better just add a 0 right?

PistenDeer 0

Idiot. Didn't you read? The lines were blocked by snow, the sign was like twenty feet away FROM the space.

Any of them could be handicapped and it was snowing so he was probably hurrying in and didn't notice it.

Take good pictures and challenge the ticket.

facmebene 0

I agree. If you dispute it, chances are you won't have to pay for it.

Dump_fml 0

+1 on the pictures. The judge might be reasonable. And #1, it's not always that easy. The local grocery store here has handicapped parking around the side of the building. The spots directly in front of the doors are standard parking. Don't know why, but that's how it is.

Right, but you go there enough to know where they are. I think it's a reasonable assumption that if they parked that close to the building (as the sign was 20 ft in front of the car on the building), they would be going into that building. Therefore, wouldn't they have seen the sign when they got closer? The person probably thought, "**** it, no one's going to give me a ticket in the *time frame* that I'm inside."

youthink_fml 0

20 feet is not far at all. And on the building? You couldn't figure that one out? YDI.

take pics and fight the ticket but get them before the snow is cleared away

TryToBeKind 0

I would challenge the ticket ther etoo. There are often close parking spots that are non-handicap. For example, maybe the first "row" of cars holds four handicap spots and the fifth one was for the general public. Not knowing that because of the snow was not your fault, you made a reasonable assumption That, and if a person who had a disability had to park on snow like that, they could have fallen on their ass. Definitely challenge the ticket and bring up the fact they weren't keeping it safe to begin with. Good luck!

Tough one. Mind you, the prime spots (handicapped) are usually nearest to the building's entrance, so maybe you should have taken the time to look around for the sign, which as you say was 20 feet away (that's pretty close if it's directly in front of the parking spot). If people used snow as an excuse, than I guess I can park next to fire hydrants every time there's a blizzard or drive down the diamond lane because the plow hasn't been through. So, having said that, I suppose you deserved the ticket.

Snow covered the parking space, obscuring the painted-on handicapped symbol. FYL. Snow did not cover the sign affixed to the wall of the building 20 feet in front of said parking space, directly in your line of vision. YDI (unless you have terrible, TERRIBLE eyesight(. It could be excusable if you'd just said that snow covered the space, thus you didn't realize it was restricted. But there was a secondary sign on the building, presumably for just this sort of occasion. I don't think you'd be able to fight that ticket, given that you DID see the sign on the building.

"(unless you have terrible, TERRIBLE eyesight(." If that were the case, the OP wouldn't be able to drive.

Just because one is not allowed to drive doesn't mean one will not drive. Especially in the States. We have half-blind assholes all over the roads.