By Invisible - 15/06/2017 22:00

Today, I realized how little my husband, son and I mean to my in-laws. We were somehow left off the distribution list for my sister-in-law's birthday party. I even texted her to wish her well. It wouldn't be so bad if this wasn't the fifth consecutive family event we were left out of. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 855
You deserved it 330

Same thing different taste

Top comments

LEbleuDESreves 10

You tried but they do not want you and your family obviously. Forget about them then, concentrate on your husband and kids, and stop give them any importance.

indienerdgirl 27

I hate it when family does that shit. I would try not to give them any more thought. Your husband and son are what's most important. This is where if your son can't spend time with family you build your own family out of close friends and their children. That way your son will have the kind of family he deserves. (I'm assuming your son is young here.)

Comments

atlasmaverick 2

Try Reddit. The best one for that is JustNoMothetInLaw

You are FREE! Relish the freedom! No more buying 100's of gifts for extended family, no more boring dinners where SIL talks about how great she is, no more uncomfortable Christmases where your Brother in law buys you a $2 trinket after you've purchased the $150 gift he specifically asked for. Stop looking a gift horse in the mouth, OP!!

Relish in your freedom, and if they come crawling back- and they usually do- kick them right the hell back out. They can live with the consequences of their actions. Better to build a family from friends than try to make friends from family that wish you didn't exist.

I have a family gathering coming up and there are people I won't invite. The honorees of the party are gay and the uninvited are strictly hard-line Christians who would try to convert them and everyone else in attendance. Doesn't mean that I don't love the uninvited ones, but if does mean that I respect the guests of honor. Is it possible that you have a similar divide between you and your family?

ProperPengTing 15

Best to part ways if they don't care. In the end they'll miss who you are and the giit will force them to be apologetic. #Guaranteed.

sparklevibes 14

Daaang, so many people saying to just forget them! That's your husband's family.. There has to be a reason for it, so best to find out what it is and then go from there. Fam doesn't generally stop talking to each other without probable cause.

You obviously had the privilege to grow up in a healthy and functional family. From those of use who didn't get that privilege, yes, sometimes families are in fact like this for no damn reason beyond that the fact they want to.

crumpets 123 8

cut them out. I know it seems hard but something similar happened to my family. My mom's side completely ignores us even since my grandmother died. My grandfather got remarried 7 months after her death and sent an invite to my family a day before the wedding, keep in mind my family lived in Florida and them in West Virginia. My uncle would never send us anything on our cousins (who adore my mother) and the only time anyone has tried contacting us was the banks my aunt owed money to when she gave them my moms number and not hers. the only real conversation we ever get from them is them saying "can I have moms money you got from the will" or "why don't you ever respond, jeez you must hate us" when they send a graduation invite 2 weeks after the graduation party and we don't show up. cut these types of people out of your life, they are toxic

Yeah and...? Good riddance Why would you WANT to be part of their family if they obviously don't want you to be part of yours **** them Live you're life That's just less people for you and your family to have to pretend to give a shit about in the end Good for you!