By NotEnoughCleaner - 12/11/2009 17:30 - United Kingdom

Today, I realised I hate my cat. She has 'stress incontinence', which involved her peeing all over my house. Last week I found out she'd been peeing on my stove, and I can't clean off the smell. Now whenever I try to cook some food, the kitchen is flooded with the scent of burning cat pee. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 474
You deserved it 5 685

midgie tells us more.

Oh, she's been to the vet. Lots. And apparently, unlike in humans, cat 'stress incontinence' isn't the kind where you pee when you sneeze, but the kind where you pee everywhere when you're stressed. Why is she stressed? We think she freaked out when my husband worked away from home for a few weeks. Why isn't she better - dunno! She has meds. from the vet to help her. I can't keep her out of the kitchen, due to the design of my funny, v. old, house the kitchen doesn't have a door to close it off from the rest of the house. Also her cat-flap (kitty door) is in the front door, which opens onto ...the kitchen. And she's been peeing under my bed... I've now thoroughly run out of tolerance for cat pee, hence the hatred...

Top comments

I've always wondered what the scent of burning cat pee is like. In some Asian cultures burning cat pee is used for aromatherapy. Consider yourself lucky that you have a cat that is aware of this fact. Your own little aroma therapist!

PhillyGirl2 0

um, ew. but you shouldnt hate her, its not her fault. you should have trained her and possibly have her spayed (if thats the actual problem, usually its only with males tho)

Comments

MermaidSongXOXO 6

Don't hate your cat :( Gosh.... some of the comments are so cruel. It's not your cat's fault. Stress incontinence is involuntary. If you go to your local pet store, they might have some diapers that are meant for animals in heat, but would probably work well for your cat.

i agree with #26. some of the comments are really cruel. yea some people don't like cats, but apparently OP does, and that is why she has one, of course. and it isn't the cats fault, so just buy her some diapers. or just give it to somebody who will love it. because apparently you don't love it enough to care. it probably doesn't enjoy pissing everywhere involuntarily.

Oh, she's been to the vet. Lots. And apparently, unlike in humans, cat 'stress incontinence' isn't the kind where you pee when you sneeze, but the kind where you pee everywhere when you're stressed. Why is she stressed? We think she freaked out when my husband worked away from home for a few weeks. Why isn't she better - dunno! She has meds. from the vet to help her. I can't keep her out of the kitchen, due to the design of my funny, v. old, house the kitchen doesn't have a door to close it off from the rest of the house. Also her cat-flap (kitty door) is in the front door, which opens onto ...the kitchen. And she's been peeing under my bed... I've now thoroughly run out of tolerance for cat pee, hence the hatred...

Prozac? At the vets office I work at someone brought in their cat to be put down for the same problem. We kept him insetad and after getting the correct level of prozac he doesn't pee everywhere.

For dinner. It makes a mean bulgogi. Maybe even some tacos with hot sauce! I jest.

I feel bad for you, but really - why is your cat on the countertop? I've had 4 cats and none of them were allowed on the countertop. It's not that hard to train them.

mizu22 0

obviously, the cat is sick. all the "kill the cat" comments are just plain mean. the op should have trained her cat better and maybe the cat wouldn't have peed on the stove. just get a new stove. the end.

suzuma 0

You poor thing. My evil little one has done the same thing. Bleach and a lot of it. Keep scrubbing it, keep adding more bleach and then you gotta rinse and rinse again so it doesn't smell like bleach.

birds_fml 7

DO NOT DO THIS. Bleach may very well get the smell out, but cat pee consists primarily of ammonia, and everyone knows that bleach+ammonia=deadly chlorine gas. It may not be much, but it's still harmful. Use baking soda!

Or mix the bleach with the cat pee, and use it to gas the cat. Two birds with one stone.

it's chloramine not chlorine, and it won't come from dried cat piss, the ammonia is volitile so as long as you wash with water first, or let it dry it will be perfectly safe, just don't piss in the bleach

birds_fml 7

Clean the stove with a baking soda paste. If it's really bad, you may want to let the paste sit overnight. I promise it will get the smell of pee off your stove. As for the cat... does she only pee when you're not home? You may have to lock her in the bathroom while you're gone, to at least contain the problem to an area that's easily cleaned. She also may have a urinary infection... see another vet if your current vet told you she's "stress incontinent," whatever that means.

The1nk 0

Wow. That sucks. My indoor cat became an indoor/outdoor cat after he started doing that to us. Indoors when we're home, Outdoors when we're not, since the little bastard can't be trusted. Lol. We ended up getting a new stove, though, so, that worked to get rid of the smell. ^_^

Dopehead666 21

One of my cats, Mr.Grey, has an eating disorder. He will eat his food and regardless of the amount, he will throw it all up. Of course not every single time, but more often then not.

KillaKingPerrie 4