By Silbax1 - 27/10/2014 15:40 - United States - Cincinnati

Today, I overheard my co-workers talking about how they don't need flu shots because everyone else gets them. These people are in the medical industry. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 499
You deserved it 3 492

Same thing different taste

Top comments

tony1891 22

thats Cause the flu shot is an actual virus.

Ashd09 30

I hope these people don't give advice to patients. They need to rethink their job descisions

Comments

LostInTheZone11 29

I'm just wondering something, depending on what part of the medical industry you are working in, isn't there a law that states you have to get the shot?

Sadly it's not. Some hospitals make you get the flu shot as a condition of your employment and if you refuse to get it they can fire you. But it's totally up to the employer whether the staff have to be immunized or not.

We can only hope they hold different views when it comes to other vaccinations.

And hopefully they're not working somewhere medical related.

Did you really just say that?.. Yes you did.

Oh oops I just reread the FML and realized my mistake. I was in a very noisy and crazy area when I read this so I wasn't concentrating properly.

Technically, they're right. It's called herd immunity

and they are weakening herd immunity, which is bad for certain groups (like those who cant get vaccines, or those particularly susceptible to the illness)

If every one thought they shouldn't have to get vaccinated because everyone else is then the herd immunity wouldn't work. It works where at least 80% of the population is immunized. This is why diseases are re appearing. Don't be stupid people.

Actually, that is true, if 95% of people are immune, then there is no way for the remaining 5% to contract the flu, however that 5% should be people that CAN'T have the injection, either because they are allergic or it just doesn't work on them

If someone is healthy, they have absolutely no reason to get a flu shot. The vaccine has several side effects and statistics say it's more dangerous than the flu itself. In fact, barely anyone gets it here in Italy. Last year they made about 20 million vaccines and only sold less than 1 million. Not sure why in the US everyone seem to get it every year.

kittycat2007 18

they sell it here in the usa because of fear mongering. Fear controls the population and influences every decision we make, but its sold as protection.

22, can you give me your source with the statistics that say the flu shot is more dangerous than the flu?

that would explain why thousands of people die every year from the flu. Your flu shot helps not only you, but also those who cannot/will not get the shot.

No 70, your flu shot makes the next flu virus more dangerous.

What if others are thinking the same thing? "Oh, I don't need to get the shot, because everyone else is." Vaccinations should be mandatory for those working in the medical field.

PresidentNorth 16

Nope, everyone's entitled too a choice.

kswayney 2

Actually those professionals are right. There is research that proves if 90% of a population gets immunizations then the other 10% does not have to and they are not at risk of the disease. So their thinking is actually accurate but I wouldn't recommend that if they work in the health care field. But in my opinion it is not fair to say they are idiots when in reality they are actually accurate.

Ianamis 6

That way of thinking is if the 90% starts getting them less and less herd immunity dies.

I don't think that they are being called idiots for their theory as much as for the fact that they should know that there are still a lot of people (more than 10%) who don't get the flu shot. Their theory works even less if they work in a hospital where people are coming in with the flu all the time.