By cyantist - 23/01/2009 08:24 - United States

Today, I'm sick. I got the flu shot for the first time ever this year and for the first time in my life, I have the flu. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 846
You deserved it 5 186

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Essentially the INFLUENZA virus is very vicious and can cause intense problems. If you just got the "stomach flu" that actually has NOTHING to do with the flu shot, it's not even the flu. The flu shot itself is supposed to be the flu, except dead or empty shells, which tricks your immune system into seeing it and thinking it's the real thing, so it can figure out what to look for should you actually get Influenza and react quicker. Essentially it IS possible to become infected by having dormant or only half dead virus cells, but the chances are slim. Commonly though, people just refer to the flu as stomach pains and throwing up, and thusly get that after getting a flu shot then think it didn't work. Well the "flu shot" did, you just got somethin else. All in all, as #15 said, the flu shot did nothing to cause this, just coincidental timing.

carriealana 0

This is so so so so so not FML worthy. So you're sick. You got the flu. Welcome to the club, most of us have had it.

Comments

Essentially the INFLUENZA virus is very vicious and can cause intense problems. If you just got the "stomach flu" that actually has NOTHING to do with the flu shot, it's not even the flu. The flu shot itself is supposed to be the flu, except dead or empty shells, which tricks your immune system into seeing it and thinking it's the real thing, so it can figure out what to look for should you actually get Influenza and react quicker. Essentially it IS possible to become infected by having dormant or only half dead virus cells, but the chances are slim. Commonly though, people just refer to the flu as stomach pains and throwing up, and thusly get that after getting a flu shot then think it didn't work. Well the "flu shot" did, you just got somethin else. All in all, as #15 said, the flu shot did nothing to cause this, just coincidental timing.

carriealana 0

This is so so so so so not FML worthy. So you're sick. You got the flu. Welcome to the club, most of us have had it.

The_madmax 23

Who are you to decide what's "FML worthy"?

inlimbo11 0

wow that like sucks like **** your life like totally for sure grow up.

actually, the flu shot contains weakened strains of 3 different types of the virus, so either you caught one that wasn't contained in the flu shot, or if you're allergic to eggs it could have triggered a reaction. im in nursing school and we did a free shot clinic, so i figured what the heck? i'll get one too... first time ever, usually against it because i never get sick... guess what? i got sick. it happens more than you think.

When you get a flu shot, or many other types of vaccines, it exposes you to the virus (weakened, perhaps? or not in its full form. I'm not so sure) so that your body can recognize and remember it, creating antibodies for the next time you extract the virus. Chances are you're going to get sick, but that's really how it works. My biology teacher explained this to the class so it can't be a lie.

kittykat_bw13 12

It's impossible to actually get the flu from the vaccine because it is the dead virus, but your body doesn't know it's dead! most flu symptoms are really just your bodies defenses. So this person's body is trying to fight the vaccine lol

flu shots contain the flu virus, but like concentrated n shit so its not as bad, to help build ur immunity to it, maybe since it was his first time gettin those shots it made him get it

Has anyone here taken a basic health class? A vaccine is a dead or weakened form of the virus. You get it so your body can create antibodies to kill it off so if you do get the actual virus, you'll already have the antibodies to fight it off. But the vaccine is only for one strand of the virus... And the flu mutates a lot, so it's pretty common to still get the flu even if you got the vaccine. Soooo.. You're all a bit correct, but there. And that's not a YDI but definitely not a FML.

You are quite correct. Except that a vaccin is not for one strand, but for a group of fluvirusses. Scientist try to predict which strands will be most common next winter and the make a vaccin against those. If you got infected by another form than those in the vaccin, or if your immunesystem was not able to generate an effective immunereaction (which will probably not be the case for you), you get sick.

awww poor baby, well now you know what the rest of us normal people have to deal with all the time!

your retarded. they give you the flu when you get the vaccine, they just weaken it so your body will have an easier time fighting it off. As for the hundreds of strains, there is only one or two strains every year, and the vaccine works for those strains, the other couple hundred arent around any more