By tenhut - 01/07/2016 04:34 - United States - Pittsburgh

Today, I'm sleeping in a hotel with my grandparents for 2 days. They both talked in their sleep and snored for almost 3 hours straight, so I moved into the bathtub in the tiny bathroom to try to get some sleep. Just as I was falling asleep, the showerhead started to leak. Back to square one. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 787
You deserved it 952

tenhut tells us more.

Hey guys! OP here. My grandpa has sinus problems so his snoring is way more severe than most people's is. He and my grandmother both were talking in their sleep on top of it. I waited it out and tried my headphones for almost 3 hours before i decided to move. The hotel room only has a bathroom and bedroom, no couch, so it was the only place I could go. The tub may seem a little over the top, but my grandparents are older and have bladder control problems. They need to go to the bathroom multiple times a night, and I didn't want to make them have to step over me. I ended up going out to buy some sleep aids and my grandmother brought some of those snoring strips for him to try. Fingers crossed it works!

Top comments

Snore louder to assert dominance. That'll shut them up.

Thank you! I did try it, but I have a hard time falling asleep when I'm leaning on an earphone. We're here because they had a fire in their house and a repair crew is working to fix the damage. I came up with them because they're stressed out so I think I'll just tough it out if it gives them some peace of mind.

Comments

Snore louder to assert dominance. That'll shut them up.

Throw in a little fart, too. Show them who's boss.

Hey, on the bright side, only one more night! Maybe try some earplugs?

Earplugs don't block 100% of the noise, what they're best at is blocking low-volume noises or white/brown noise. Harsh, loud noises like obnoxious snoring can get right through, though not at the original volume, but it can still annoy the crap out of OP. I use a few different kinds of earplugs all the time because I have Misophonia & 4S. My advice would be to play some calming music or a noise generator with headphones and try to sleep like that for one night. I know how hard it can be to relax while being subjected to certain noises, believe me. I've come up with a few tricks of my own.

Maybe I'm just desensitized because I grew up with a snoring parent, but isn't sleeping in the bath tub kind of a dramatic solution?

If it's the furthest spot in the hotel room away from the snoring people, then no, it's not over the top. You can only understand this plight after not being able to sleep for a period of time (like a couple days) because the people you're staying with are noise polluting the environment and you start to essentially lose your mind and will try ANYTHING to just get some SLEEP.

Drugs. Try sleeping pills. If not, it's only one more night

Instructions unclear; ate ketchup instead.

mcaisse77 17

If you have headphones, download a white noise app. I had to sleep in a hotel room with my snoring parents a while ago and that worked perfectly.

#6, Why were you downvoted for this? This is something I do all the time because I have a disorder that causes me to get insane reactions from normal every day noises people make, so I don't go anywhere without my music /noise generator app and headphones and high quality earplugs. If you can sleep with music playing (earbuds or etc), it's your best bet to block the most noise.

Could you sleep on the couch or something? Sorry OP.

Hey guys! OP here. My grandpa has sinus problems so his snoring is way more severe than most people's is. He and my grandmother both were talking in their sleep on top of it. I waited it out and tried my headphones for almost 3 hours before i decided to move. The hotel room only has a bathroom and bedroom, no couch, so it was the only place I could go. The tub may seem a little over the top, but my grandparents are older and have bladder control problems. They need to go to the bathroom multiple times a night, and I didn't want to make them have to step over me. I ended up going out to buy some sleep aids and my grandmother brought some of those snoring strips for him to try. Fingers crossed it works!

Hope it works. If you had to deal with this more frequently I would suggest noise cancelling headphones for sleeping, but because it's only a couple nights, there's not much you can do. My suggestion above was headphones and music or a noise generating app, but if that hasn't worked, then that snoring must be extremely obnoxious. I'm sorry you have to deal with this for a few days. Depending on the price of the hotel, would your grandparents consider getting you your own room..? I know it's a little severe and costs money, but from your comment it seems that they understand your plight. Hope everything works out for you, I know how crazy noise pollution can get and how insane it can drive you in a short period of time. Good luck

Thank you! I did try it, but I have a hard time falling asleep when I'm leaning on an earphone. We're here because they had a fire in their house and a repair crew is working to fix the damage. I came up with them because they're stressed out so I think I'll just tough it out if it gives them some peace of mind.

Ah, I see. That's horrible about the fire, I'm so sorry! Well, hopefully when it's all over you'll be able to get a good night's rest at home. Good luck with everything :)

you're a good person OP many people wouldn't stuck it out

Maybe invest in some earplugs. Even try a few different kinds to find out which work best for you. If that doesn't work either, depending if where you are is considered safe, try sleeping on the floor in front of their room or on a couch in the hallway. Otherwise, maybe you can rest for a couple of hours during the day when your grandparents are out and about? Good luck on getting some sleep.

Did you even read the follow-up...?

heatherrr17 19

This happend to me when i was staying with my parents i was so mad! Luckily my dad had an extra pair of earplugs, sucks when u dont have them though.

Sorry about the situation op but good for you for finding a solution to the bro let without bothering your grandparents even though I could imagine it was not comfortable for you hopefully you still managed a few hours of shut eye

Try earplugs. I don't stay in hotels without them, even without the grandparents.