By Hiimhaileypotter - 14/07/2014 22:48 - United States - Fredericksburg

Today, I left the house I'm staying at, not knowing that thunderstorms were forecast. I came back from work to find dog shit splattered all over the kitchen. Apparently the dogs I'm watching don't like thunder. FML
I agree, your life sucks 41 312
You deserved it 5 173

Hiimhaileypotter tells us more.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

#12- They stay in the kitchen when I'm gone (I was at work), and the FML is really that I forgot thunderstorms were in the forecast. I was supposed to have turned on the stove fan to help mask the sound, but I forgot. :( Lol. It's not really a huge deal. Just a minor inconvenience!

Top comments

Wizardo 33

Everyone needs a thunder buddy man, everyone.

I would assume it'd happen regardless. It's not like you could have taken the dog out in that storm to do its business. If anything, you couldn't taken it to the bathroom if you knew, but it'd still be a mess. That sucks, though, and poor dog :/

Comments

Wouldn't they have warned you? I would have figured they would have

Hiimhaileypotter 52

OP here. I'm actually dogsitting these two for almost 2 weeks, so it's my daily responsibility to check the forecast. I forgot today, and by the time I remembered and checked I was at work. I didn't realize there would be such an explosive reaction. :P

Atmospheric pressure combined with their fur makes storms physically hurt animals, to an extent. Someone needs to fact check this though, don't remember where I heard it.

I also heard that if you rub a dryer sheet (like a bounty sheet) on their fur it takes the static away and they calm down; which is implying the same thing I guess. Of course I don't know if that's a myth or not either.

katebond 16

at least now you know, right?

tuffykat 8

if you dont know dogs dont like thunder and/or fireworks...you shouldnt dog sit! next you'll be feeding them grapes or chocolate- which cause kidney failure in dogs, btw! ydi, you deserve to clean that up!

Hiimhaileypotter 52

Why assume I know nothing about dogs? I work in a grooming salon and I've owned dogs since I was a child. I've researched all sorts of things to do with dogs; and yes I know what not to feed them. If you read the FML, I just didn't realize that thunder was in the forecast. And the last sentence is there because it was such a strong reaction. ;P

Not all dogs are afraid of thunder. And the ones who are usually just bark or hide under the table, not lose complete control over their bowels like this. Unless the dog's owner warned her that the dog had such an extreme reaction to thunder, there was no way she could have known this would happen.

You realize that OP said she forgot right? She knew the dogs were afraid of thunderstorms but she forgot to check the forecast (which isn't always right anyways) and by the time she got home it was too late. Not a big deal, she just forgot. Plus there isn't much she could've done anyways even if she was home.

My dog doesn't care about thunder storms or fireworks, they don't phase her at all. Some dogs aren't scared of them you know, just because they forgot to double check the weather doesn't mean they're completely incompetent. Over reaction much?

PinkWalls 12

Sounds like a shitty situation

Hiimhaileypotter 52

You just had to, didn't you?

you're probably from the northweat then?

What does being from the northwest have to do with anything? We get thunder and lightning too...

Usually we lock our dogs in a carrier/cage before leaving home so I found it odd that the dog was allowed to roam around when no one was there.

iShanny 13

It depends on the dog. My dog is a beagle and she is crate trained and stays in her crate while we are working. Beagles are pack hounds and tend to get bored and/or anxious when left alone so if we left her free we would probably come back to a destroyed, soiled house. As it is, we have had her for three years and she still sometimes howls for hours when we leave. My family, however, has a little mutt (part Yorkie but she was a stray so they aren't sure what else) and that dog can roam the house by herself all day and the place will still be pristine when someone gets home.

For those who are saying all dogs are scared of thunder/fireworks....I live in FL where it thunderstorms nearly daily in the summer. Neither of my chihuahuas are bothered by it at all.

Interesting. I have a little dog, a yorkipoo, and although he is scared of practically everything else, he isn't afraid of storms at all. I've never known another dog that wasn't afraid of storms.

Hiimhaileypotter 52

My own personal dog actually isn't scared of thunder. She's petrified of fireworks and guns, but thunder she's fine with.

Unfortunately, some dogs have even died of fright from thunderstorms. Better a shit-storm than a neighbors deceased pet.