By johobus28 - 06/08/2015 03:31 - United States - Monument

Today, I learnt the meaning of the phrase "ménage à trois". I had always thought it was synonymous with "fiasco" and have used it several times in essays. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 721
You deserved it 23 616

johobus28 tells us more.

As embarrassing as it was to learn the actual meaning, I have to agree with you guys. I probably should have looked up the actual meaning before using it. I can usually deduct the meaning of a word pretty well without googling it, but that evidently was not the case here. Fortunately, I never used it on major, college-acceptance essays or anything. Only minor high school assignments. I'll be sure to google a word before I use it next time! Thanks for my first FML guys

Top comments

A ménage à trois (French for "household of three") is a domestic arrangement in which three people having romantic and/or sexual relations with each other occupy the same household. It is a form of polyamory.

Gaernem 17

Looks like all of those essays were a fiasco.

Comments

FalloutScrolls 25

Google. Have you heard of it? YDI

YDI for not properly learning the meaning before using it in a professional setting.

If you want to feel fancy it's best to confirm you have correct usage of the word.

How do you came to that? I mean, how it happend, that you used words with out having a clue what they mean? I imaging, that whoever read the essays also account with this "menage" fist, and get it wrong, and use it wrong after that, and so on... OP, you are contaminous!

RedPillSucks 31

I'm hoping #16 was being tongue in cheek

tantanpanda 26

^nah, the reply was too long to be intentional. It's probably just someone with poor English.

fmldeej11 4

Clearly you have no idea what any word in the English language means, so you of all people should keep your criticism to a minimum.

Why on earth would you use the phrase you don't know the meaning of? And in an essay.

19, I hope you realize that not knowing what a word means is different from having the wrong idea about the word. For whatever reason OP associated that phrase with fiasco. They will use it that way until corrected. They're not going to be like " hey maybe I'm using it wrong" out of nowhere. It's OPs fault for not knowing the correct definition but it is certainly logically invalid to say something like they didn't have any idea what the word meant.

At least you didn't say plan a trois which literally means threesome

countryb_cth 38

No it doesn't. It literally means "plan a three."

Yes, it does. That's how you say it in french.

Iñigo Montoya would have something to say about this.

You keep using that phrase... I do not think it means what you think it means.

I was thinking the same thing #30. Apparently both are acceptable but learned is more of a U.S. thing and learnt is more of a British/UK thing. I don't think learnt would be acceptable in academic writings in the U.S.

SaniK 17

I bet you have some surprised if not wide eyed professors!