By knepmj - 16/03/2016 09:44 - United States

Today, I got locked inside my apartment due to the locking mechanism being stuck, so I had to call off work. They refused to believe me, and insisted that I be in on time or else there would be disciplinary actions taken. Maintenance wasn't available till 3 hours into my shift. FML
I agree, your life sucks 19 042
You deserved it 1 400

Same thing different taste

Top comments

strange_ness 16

That sucks OP. Maybe you can talk to your boss again and show him evidence, like the maintenance bill or something

Well, there is unfortunately little you could have done under hose circumstances. Tea, slippers and a newspaper or book might help well you're waiting!

Comments

Well, there is unfortunately little you could have done under hose circumstances. Tea, slippers and a newspaper or book might help well you're waiting!

strange_ness 16

That sucks OP. Maybe you can talk to your boss again and show him evidence, like the maintenance bill or something

CheekyRaccoon 27

Now that's a serious jam that you're in.

If the place where you can't accept what happened, then you need a new job. There is no freaking reason for them to not believe you, unless you have lied in the past to them.

Did you have access to a window? Id climb out. I mean dont get me wrong your boss is a dick but windows are useful.

OP said apartment. If OP isn't on the first floor of their apartment I doubt climbing out the window is safe.

zeffra13 31

Often apartments have balconies. OP might've been able to check if the neighbors were home and exit through their apartment.

SilverInGray 25

How are they getting into the neighbor's apartment?

askullnamedbilly 33

No. **** that. Even if OP was on the ground floor or happened to have a balcony close enough to their neighbor's to climb over, it's still unsafe. Windows aren't made to be climbed in and out off (I've had to try once, and it's really easy to slip or have your foot get caught on the frame), and unless the balcony is shared between the two apartments OP would be taking a serious risk dangling between two balconies to get to the next one. You shouldn't have to be at risk to break bones just to get to a shift on time. Any reasonable boss should at least accept the maintenance's statement, if they don't believe their employee.

If it is on the first floor, you probably don't want to risk leaving a window open anyway.

And no fire escape apparently. That could have ended badly. Well, even more badly.

Wow. If I were you I would sue them or at least try to get whoever didn't believe you fired. Sorry OP.

Both of those options are a bit extreme. However, I would see if I can go over my boss's head and explain the situation to higher management because it is unacceptable for OP's boss to disclaim a viable reason for showing up to work late.

Sorry about my mistake guys. I read it as trapped in an elevator. Still, they should of checked to see if OP was telling the truth.

I don't think there should be disciplinary action, however, someone who can't come into work because they're "locked in their apartment" seems a little fishy.

I disagree. My old apartment was terrible, and the strike plate on the front door would come loose all the time, getting stuck and wedging the door shut. I would have to call my 350 lb linebacker neighbor to shoulder it open. I left through a window more than a few times until maintenance finally fixed it properly.

Speaking as someone who has been locked in a room that didn't even have a locking knob, it's an entirely valid reason. Old doors or worn out knobs can cause it to happen. And unlike in my situation where I was able to take the door off the hinges, there's not really an easy way to solve this when it's the front door.

Surely there was paperwork you had to sign for the repairs. Take it to your boss.

Although it does sound a bit weird to be locked in your apartment your boss ,if you don't do this often, should believe you. As long as you have papers stating that you did in fact get locked in you should be ok. Even then it depends on the company. If you have an HR take it up will them once you get out.

Your boss is like I know you're high and licking red hot Cheeto dust off your fingers , don't play games with me son . Well if you work at any pizza parlor, that wouldn't be a stretch .