By vxdragon23 - 03/08/2016 04:48 - United States - Queensbury

Today, I got a letter from my old bank saying I owe them over 400 dollars. I closed the account 3 months ago, or at least I thought I did. The teller never finished closing it and I've been getting hammered with maintenance fees and overdrafts on an account I didn't even want anymore. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 817
You deserved it 983

vxdragon23 tells us more.

op here. the first fee was a 12 d9llar maintenance fee after I had "closed the account" it was then followed up by multiple extended overdraft fees for 35 dollars each. there wasn't anything that was auto drafting from the account.

Top comments

You should be able to call the bank and explain to them that your intention to close the account was not carried out by their employee. They should reverse all the bank charges and close the account. Then wait a week, call them back, and make sure they really closed it this time.

Do you have proof you tried to close it? If you do take them to court and avoid paying.

Comments

op here. the first fee was a 12 d9llar maintenance fee after I had "closed the account" it was then followed up by multiple extended overdraft fees for 35 dollars each. there wasn't anything that was auto drafting from the account.

Wow, 35 dollars for overdraft - and several times a month? You did the right thing, closing the account with that bank. Hopefully you'll get it sorted.

paige_g2013 16

As someone who works at a bank I see these things very often. It's strange that you got an od fee because of the maintenance fee (the bank I work for only charges od fees if you actually over drafted your account, not because of fees we charge) depending on the bank you could more than likely get all of that credited and closed! Good luck OP!

Almost all banks have $35 over draft fees....

#43 - yes, it surprises me that it's so high. In my own country, Estonia, my bank doesn't charge for overdraft, my account simply cannot go negative. I used to live in UK for a while, there my bank used to charge 6 pounds a month for overdraft, but they abolished that fee and no longer charge anything.

ericanicole1 12

I had an account at a bank that did $110 overdraft fees

You guys don't get any account related activity text on your phone over in the US? Pretty much all of the banks have the service in India.

Pretty sure that's an optional service. I know most Banks have mobile apps you can download and get notifications from, but you'd have to set that up yourself, and not everyone bothers.

And if you thought you'd closed the account, even less incentive to check the website/app, or read emails/texts (probably trying to get you back, right?).

I deleted the app when I thought I closed my account

I'd be following that up, and making a complaint then going to the Ombudsman if necessary. Also in this day and age there is no reason to pay an account keeping fee (let alone a massive $12) or overdraft fee, find a decent financial institution OP.

Just call/visit your local branch and explain everything. Especially if you have some paper work (I don't know about your country, but here you get papers for anything) it shouldn't be a problem :)

Wow, suck OP. If they didn't take back the fees / fire he teller than FYL indeed.

OP, I have played this game. I'm sorry you are having to play, as well. On the up side, you get to tell them to **** off and die, and there's not much they can do about it.

ALWAYS ALWAYS get proof of account closures. bummer!

Banks suck, especially the bigger ones. Had my bank screw me out of a couple hundred in "fees", when they charged me for a "free service". I had to pay them to close the account, even though I'd been a customer for a dozen years. Call your attorney general's office if they try to get a nickel out of you. Let them know you're doing it, and that you plan to sue for triple damages. They should change their tune. PS. I later got a check, as the government decided their practices were illegal.

Hopefully you can call the bank and sort this junk out! I usually ask for reference numbers and associates names and check back a few days later to see if situations like these played out. But I'm just neurotic like that.

op, that is the problem with closure of the account, it's never free, if your account was down to 0.- on the date of closure, it cannot be closed, so you will be in the minus of the closure fee, and than, further maintenance of the account including interest (up to 17.5percent, but usually around 12percent) can and will be charged in addition to the debt, on said account which could not be closed because the closure fee was not paid..OP, you are going to have to pay for it..even with a lawyer, they have the upper hand on that one..

1. OP didn't say they were charged a "closure" fee, just a maintenance and overdraft fee after it was supposed to be closed. 2. If there in fact was a closure fee, the teller should have told that to OP and declined the transaction, rather than starting and not finishing. 3. Where do you live that every bank charges you to close an account? I've literally never heard of that. Here, it's be illegal. A bank is holding your money at your request. They cannot refuse to give it back to you, which is what closing an account is. They cannot force you to continue doing business with them.