By vxdragon23 - 03/08/2016 04:48 - United States - Queensbury

Today, I got a letter from my old bank saying I owe them over 400 dollars. I closed the account 3 months ago, or at least I thought I did. The teller never finished closing it and I've been getting hammered with maintenance fees and overdrafts on an account I didn't even want anymore. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 818
You deserved it 983

vxdragon23 tells us more.

op here. the first fee was a 12 d9llar maintenance fee after I had "closed the account" it was then followed up by multiple extended overdraft fees for 35 dollars each. there wasn't anything that was auto drafting from the account.

Top comments

You should be able to call the bank and explain to them that your intention to close the account was not carried out by their employee. They should reverse all the bank charges and close the account. Then wait a week, call them back, and make sure they really closed it this time.

Do you have proof you tried to close it? If you do take them to court and avoid paying.

Comments

This is why my modus operandi is "Everyone but me is incompetent", and I end up having to micromanage everything.

Time for legal counsel, because it sounds like they're practicing some illegal business methods. If you do get it so there's an investigation going on, you'll probably be relieved that you changed banks because it will very likely turn out that they've got more business skeleton in their closet than a catacomb.

Slim_Skeeter 6

Been there, done that! The even neglected to send me any paperwork stating that I was overdrawn nor did they send a statement in the year since I had anything to do with that bank. I had to pay them off in order to start a new account elsewhere.

How could you have overdraft fees if you're no using the acct?

randybryant799 20

If you're getting overdraft notices it's because you're spending money from that account.

randybryant799 20

The only way you could be getting overdraft fees is if you're writing checks in the account.