By msizziec - 14/12/2015 23:09 - United Kingdom - Tiverton

Today, I got a concussion at work. Our resident schizophrenic decided to test how gravity worked by dropping a torch over the bannister directly onto my head. I'm still seeing stars. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 700
You deserved it 1 380

msizziec tells us more.

Hello, OP here! I work in a mental health and learning disability care home, so when I say resident I mean in the sense they live there. He's normally absolutely lovely, very quiet and calm, however something clearly snapped that day. I'll never know whether it was on purpose or not unfortunately! It was only a small torch (flashlight) but it was dropped about 10 ft directly onto my temple which was incredible aim if nothing else. It's not a locked unit so he's allowed stuff like that, however I did "misplace" it after the incident. A trip to the hospital emergency department after my shift proved there's no long lasting damage other than a mild concussion. After that though I've kept my distance from him... just in case!

Top comments

Before you ask, a "torch" is a flashlight in the UK. You're welcome.

Comments

lat187 18

I immediately pictured a medieval psych ward. But apparently all of that is wrong.

I can assure you that old time psych wards were not at all awesome.

scoobysnarks 15

Sounds like a work-related injury. First, see if you actually have a concussion - they're not injuries to play with. Second, see if you can file for work-related insurance - take care of yourself first.

scoobysnarks 15

If they're injured, they'd need medical care; I'm presuming they're not independently wealthy enough that an insurance claim wouldn't be a wise path. :)

They're in the UK they get free health care however I do not if the insurance would pay for prescription painkillers

That's what I got confused about. I forgot that Americans had to pay for healthcare and thus, would need insurance to help pay it.

Why do they let someone with an obvious disability work at a place where they have access to stuff that can hurt people? It's a hazard to other workers. Op could've been seriously hurt.

It's possible that "resident" was literal, if this was in a psychiatric ward or something like that. Or the OP might have been using the term figuratively.

Yes, a resident would be a long-term patient, not an employee.

pacman490 21

It's not enough to just drop a pencil on the floor. Apparently, people need to get HURT in the name of science.

If you see Jennifer Lawrence, let her know I'm single, OP.

For why are you putting up with this? Why put this on FML instead of to your human resources or line management?

If you can not properly function in a society you do not belong in that society. This guy can not properly function in the normal every day world so he does not belong in the normal every day world. What an idiot. This same kind of thing is why I always thought that mentally challenged/disabled/whatever they have kids should not be in the same schools as normal kids. All they do is endanger the well being and education of the normal kids. I have heard countless stories of mentally challenged students either causing a major disturbance in class or physically harming another student. Put them in their own class or better yet their own school. They jeopardize the education of everyone else. I've been in a class with a student who had obvious mental problems and it was not an enjoyable experience. Yes they have the right to an education also I agree but not at the cost of the normal kids educations. Teach them separately and it'll be fine.

Or and stay with me we put them all In camps with special identification along with the physically disabled they have there own shops and schools and hospitals, then just maybe we can have special showers for them too. Seriously, they already have special schools for them but not everyone can afford them and it sounds like Op's "resident was literal as in he works in psych ward.

Physically disabled can still be functioning members of society. Extremely mentally challenged people however can not. If you can't afford to send them to separate schools than at the very least keep them away from the normal kids. That way the normal kids wont have their education jeopardized. If they works in a psych ward then it's fine. They guy is where he belongs which is removed from society. I'm ok with that. But if OP is at a normal job there's an issue. That guy is dangerous and needs to be dealt with.

give me a "thumbs up" if you didn't read this :P

I had a kid with disabilities in my grade 2/3 class. Looking back on it now, I would probably guess severe autism. One time at recess, she (he? Honestly can't remember) had a meltdown and kicked me in the back while struggling with their worker. I was surprised since I'd just been playing tetris, but didn't think too much of it because of who did it. The worst part about it was when s/he apologized, I didn't know the 'right' way to accept an apology, and I thought the worker was scolding me rather than him/her. Wow, I was totally traumatized by that! How DARE they subject me to such torment?!? My entire life has been RUINED because of this! That kid should have been locked away somewhere in a room full of other weird kids and never been allowed to socialize with NORMAL kids! That was CLEARLY blatant neglect of the needs of the REAL people we ACTUALLY care about! Why don't we just nip this all in the bud and sterilize the lot of them before they reproduce? Hell, we should be sterilizing their parents before they create MORE of these godforsaken aberrations! Let's not stop there, let's sterilize EVERYONE with a trait we don't agree with! That'll fix the whole world, right?!?

Your experience wasn't even close to some of the things that happen in schools. Their meltdown was tame compared to them. Some of these kids attack the normal kids and really hurt them. And in class rooms they cause major disruptions so the teacher has to stop the entire lesson just to get them under control. They shouldn't even be in that classroom if they can't function in a normal setting properly. Either learn some self control or get out. Most schools have special education classes which is perfect. Put them in there with teachers trained to handle those kinds of students. Every teacher isn't an expert on special needs children. Put them with teachers who are.

There are so many things wrong with this statement I don't know where to begin. Through our history and well into today's societies people with DD and MH disorders are treated like dirt. They were left outside to die of exposure, sent away to live in state run facilities and victims or horrendous abuse. Unnecessary and often painful medical procedures were done without pain medication, forced lobotomies, sexual and physical abuse, all because they aren't seen as normal. You should be ashamed of yourself. I supervise a group home for DD adults and people like you honestly make my stomach churn. The people I serve are sweet, and kind, and full of love and will more likely hug you than hurt you. All they want is to be NORMAL. Have jobs, friends, hobbies, and a life. All of things you are describing are against the Americans with disabilities Act and the Homestead Act. Why don't you research Willowbrook and then tell me that is what another human being DESERVES.

Most normal kids can't function in a normal setting...

I know it's a few days late to this party but I kind of agree that special needs kids should have their own, smaller classes. I did my middle/high school in such a class, because I have FAS. Smaller class allows the teacher to have more time for each student, to help their problems etc. which actually makes learning easier for everyone.