By anikah - 01/06/2014 21:53 - United States - Natchitoches

Today, I gave up trying to make any friends at my job as a firefighter. I'm the lone female, and am the subject of gossip with the older men. Anyone I try to befriend ends up hitting on me, while others won't even talk to me because their wives are jealous. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 759
You deserved it 5 616

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Look on the bright side! You must be attractive if coworkers hit on you or ignore you because of their wives.

I feel that pain OP! So many people are like "oh stop complaining that people like you." Well it's ****** difficult when you can't maintain any real friends. Sorry OP :(

Comments

today I understand that beauty also has it's problems.. sorry OP ..things never be same ..be patient..

I'm sorry, OP. No friends at work is lonely. Get a good hobby to do when you're there like reading and look for another place to transfer to. There's no reason you should be treated like that.

Just focus on the job and work hard. I don't care what sex you are I just need to know that if I go down I can trust you to come get me. Earn their respect by not letting their comments get to you and life will get easier.

It can be very difficult for women to work in male dominated fields. I worked in road construction as an intern for engineering. The road crew started rumors that I was sleeping with the inspector because I was learning my job from him and spending a lot of time with him. I never wore makeup and wore baggy old clothes. Sometimes I'd even get honked and hollered at by cars that drove by. You are blazing the trail for women in that career path. You will have to put up with some sick shit but you have to put them in their place so it will be better for the next woman. Don't be afraid to stand up to them. Theyre just a bunch of idiot men.

MysticOblivion 4

You're the FNG. Hopefully they'll warm up in time.

Same shit happened with ours, except one wife knocked her out...

Well this means your very attractive, all you should care about if doing your job, who knows that could help make you friends, thanks for putting your life on the line for us.

RedPillSucks 31

When you break the gender divide, you've got to deal with this stuff. I'm not saying its right, but this is something you should have been aware of. Just about all the people who've done jobs where they were the "only" (black, white, woman, man, punjabi, christian, jew, ...) have had to face similar struggles. The unfortunate thing is you cannot expect their attitudes to change. It might, but if you expect it, you'll be disappointed. The best you can do is an exemplary and dignified job. It may eventually change them, and make it easier for the next person like you.