By anikah - 01/06/2014 21:53 - United States - Natchitoches

Today, I gave up trying to make any friends at my job as a firefighter. I'm the lone female, and am the subject of gossip with the older men. Anyone I try to befriend ends up hitting on me, while others won't even talk to me because their wives are jealous. FML
I agree, your life sucks 53 759
You deserved it 5 616

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Look on the bright side! You must be attractive if coworkers hit on you or ignore you because of their wives.

I feel that pain OP! So many people are like "oh stop complaining that people like you." Well it's ****** difficult when you can't maintain any real friends. Sorry OP :(

Comments

elizacandle 29

a shining example of why feminism is still needed.

I don't know why 101 got thumbed down. She's Right. Gender bias is a huge problem. It's what leads to sexual harassment, sexual assault, domestic violence and workplace disccrimination. Feminism is not a dirty word.

Maybe try to befriend the wives and assure them you have no interest in their husbands? You shouldn't need to but it might make it easier for you.

Yeah I hate that society has set up women to see each other as competition! We gotta stick up for each other!

orsombre_fml 11

You are kidding, aren't you? This is the best way for them to be convinced that OP is after their husband!

having been in the military and having the same problem every time I changed stations the best I can tell you is it takes time and don't be easily offended and eventually they will befriend you and eventually the wives too once they see you're not after their husbands and that you're treated like any other man in the unit.

I sure hope someone retires and another girl takes their place then you don't have to worry about it

you must be one very attractive firefighter...

icepick23 12

At least you are HOT....enjoy the attention while it lasts. One day, you will miss having this problem.

I know I will surely miss the days of being sexually harassed and discriminated against because of my gender while I'm at work. Sarcasm aside, it's insulting that you rank a woman's attractiveness as the only thing she brings to the table. OP is a goddamned firefighter. She obviously has strength, brains, compassion and a million other qualities going for her. Don't reduce women to their outward appearances.

bigdonnie624 15

Stick it out, I'm a male firefighter and I see it as if there is any girl that can pass the tests and has taken the responsibility to save other lives, is just another firefighter, it doesn't matter male or female

I'm sorry to hear op ): But they'll understand and hey some fire men do look sexy ;)

I have the same problem.. I'm a female mechanic. Guys can be dicks sometimes