By AndyClara - 14/06/2015 20:27 - Australia - Raymond Terrace

Today, I found out why my mother-in-law kept asking for one particular photo of our baby. She just wanted to show off the blanket that she had made to her friends on Facebook. Her first grandchild was almost completely cropped out of the picture. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 895
You deserved it 2 250

AndyClara tells us more.

I'm a midwife as well as a mother. I know the world doesn't revolve around me, and that people generally don't care about baby photos unless they know someone related to them or they are very well taken. I've met more new grandparents that I can count, her behaviour is just not typical of the average grandparent I meet. She is a lovely person, she is just not a baby person. No craft group and no other photos of the baby. She is not the worst Grandparent in the world and our baby is beautiful. I found the situation amusing and strange, which makes a perfect submission to FML, so I submitted it! Her reasoning behind it is she didn't want to look like she was showing off her work. The comment section of her Facebook was very amusing to read, almost as amusing as this one, so thanks for the laughs.

Top comments

obliviongillette 18

Get a picture of them together, completely crop her out and post it on Facebook.

She's proud about the blanket - let her be. It sounds like she worked hard on it and wants to show what she did. You have to remember that the world doesn't revolve around you and your baby - everyone else has their own life and interests. I'm sure she probably has other pictures of your baby (posted on fb or not) so I just don't see the big deal here.

Comments

I probably would do the same. Even with the stuff (clothes, blanket) I made for my own kids. I try to keep their faces off the internet as thoroughly as I can. Once posted you can never totally erase those pictures. I feel that how much of my kids is found on the internet will be for them to decide when they are old enough to do so. Maybe the MIL didn't feel like posting her grandchild for the world to see was her desicion to make. Unless the internet is already plastered with the kid's pictures, then she might as well have posted the whole thing.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but your baby looks exactly like every other baby. The internet is not full of creepy baby snatchers that can identify and home in on yours out of all the others.

#17, where in my post do you get the idea that I'm worried about someone snatching my children? I would feel pretty uneasy if I knew there were countless pictures of me floating around the internet that I don't have any control over. When my children are old enough to roam the internet, they will be in a position to control the amount of their own exposure. If they decide to post their own baby pictures, that's fine with me. Besides, as you pointed out, all babies look the same anyways, so my kids' faces won't be missed online.

That's a point. A lot of people are cautious about this. And a lot of the older generation are very private about personal things. My grandmother was shocked when she found out that people put scan photos online. And how early they sometimes put them up.

SuperMew 22

She made your child a blanket, so I can't see her hating her grandchild. She wanted to show her blanket not your child. There is a time and a place for sharing baby pictures, crafting friends are not usually one of them.

She's probably happy that she can use her crafting skills to make something for a grandchild. I see no reason to be upset.

tehdarkness 21

Good on her for being Facebook savvy enough to crop a photo!

whats sad is how much i can relate to this.

It's no big deal OP. Grand parents adore their grandbabies. Just because she cropped the photo to show the blanket only doesnt mean she doesn't love the baby. You'll see! : )

Maybe your baby is too ugly compared to the blanket

2nd 20

I don't really see a big problem here. What if she just cropped it to help convey the message to the person she was sending the picture to? Just because she didn't include her grandchild doesn't mean shes any less proud/happy/joyful about having one. I think you might just be overthinking the situation.

I think you are completely overreacting. But if you want a revenge, take a photo with them as it was said in some other comments ;)